What baby items are helpful for starting solids?

katvan1969

I have the Tripp Trapp high chair that was a group gift for us. I also have a silicone bib and 2 cloth ones, one of these pacifier looking things you can put food/frozen milk into, a wooden bowl with utensils, and 2 cups (one with a straw, one without).

What are some items that y’all have found helpful for starting solids? I want to make sure I stock up ahead of time. I’ve heard of these but am wondering how necessary they are:
- Splash mat
- Full upper body bib instead of regular one
- Tray attachment to high chair
- Cushion for high chair

@katvan1969 We didn't find the splash mat useful until we moved from purees to BLW. Basically, as soon as they can chuck stuff. We just let our LO chuck his food onto the mat and then scoop it up and dump it in the trash afterwards before wiping it down. Works a treat.

We've also found the full upper body bibs useful for messy foods or when we want to protect nicer clothing. My 9mo does basically all BLW for his solid meals now and if we just use the silicone bib with the pouch, his neckline still gets stained every time. He also picks up the silicone bib and lets the food in the pouch fall on his face...which is fun! We still mostly use the silicone bibs as they're just easier to deal with, but they don't exactly protect clothing that well if that concerns you.

Make sure you've got some soft cloths to wipe hands and face after a meal. They'll absolutely hate it, so the softer the better.

One thing I'm looking into getting are some silicone straps to tether things like sippy cups to the high chair. I'm soooo sick of picking those damn things up after they get thrown.

@favoursaks Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the 'Avanchy Toddler Baby Plates Divided Bamboo Suction' and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Plate has strong suction (backed by 14 comments)
* Plate is high quality and durable (backed by 6 comments)
* Plate is appropriate size for toddlers (backed by 4 comments)

Users disliked:
* The plate is not durable (backed by 1 comment)
* The suction does not work well (backed by 6 comments)
* The product grows mold easily (backed by 3 comments)

If you'd like to summon me to ask about a product, just make a post with its link and tag me, like in this example.

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.