One month at home: Top 10 Baby Items

@maryde Our daughter spit up A LOT and burp cloths were way too small. We ended up using all the receiving blankets we got as a burp cloths/shield.

@maryde Every baby is different. That being said, we use cloth diapers as burp cloths because they are cheaper, bigger, and more absorbent. We have probably 30 and I have to wash them every 3 days usually. It gets easier as baby gets older and spits up less. To me, it was worth it to buy extras so I didn’t have to do laundry more often.

@maryde I went through burp cloths pretty frequently with my first. I used the larger sized ones that they give you in the hospital when I nursed to catch any leaks, which happened a lot when she was little but wasn't such a problem by about 5 months. I would drape it over the boppy and then tuck one end into my nursing bra, and then baby went on top of all of that, resting on the boppy. I used smaller, thicker square cloths (I was given a ton of hand-sewn ones as hand me downs, but the gerber prefold diapers work great too) for actual burping. My baby spit up a ton. I think I had about 6 of the larger cloths and maybe 15 of the smaller cloths, and that seemed adequate.

@crystalriver1 Just fyi, we used a rock and play for napping and my son developed a flat area on his head which required a helmut. Im not saying the rock and play was the sole reason for this but i am weary to use it with my next baby. I think it may be because they can really only lay one way in it. He slept in a regular flat bassinette at night which allowed for more head turning options.

@tylo Candokiddo.com is run by a pediatric occupational therapist and she has written about how devices like the rock n play can cause plagiocephaly (flat head), she has written alot of very informative articles on her blog that I recommend every pregnant woman/new mom to read!

@crystalriver1 Haakaa question. How often do you use it and how? I had registered for one and didn't get it but not sure how helpful it will be?

The Chicco Keyfit Zip? link please. I was looking for one by Chicco but having trouble finding one. I'm really set on following the rule against using anything in the carseat not from the carseat manufacturer.

@briannas I only used my Haaka for the first few weeks. I would attach it to one boob while the baby nursed on the other. Only about 1 or 2 sessions per day. 4 months out now and I haven’t used it in at least a month. I really loved it when I was using it, though!

@briannas The first few months, I used it on the boob that my baby wasn’t feeding on if I knew I would need milk later (Dad was gonna be feeding, I was gonna be out, etc). I would also use it on one side and pump on the other. Now I pump hands free, but it was great before I got the hang of that.

Definitely watch a few YouTube videos on how to attach it, though. The instructions that came with mine suggested a different way that didn’t work nearly as well.

@crystalriver1 Curious what brand of nursing bras you bought and when you bought them. My boobs are on the larger side, and I've already somewhat grown out of my normal bras. I'm hesitant to buy new bras now though considering I will need to buy nursing bras--just seems dumb to buy new bras twice.

@jagadish Not OP but five months on the other side: While still pregnant I bought a few sports bras from Target that zip up the front. I like them b/c they provide way more support than nursing bras (I have one of those too) but are still easy to nurse from (not as easy but way better than one that clasps in the back). I got a couple that fit me at that point and one that was slightly too big and now the big one fits the best, but it's always a gamble. When baby came my husband bought me some nursing camisoles on amazon and they provide decent support. I wear them around the house and if I'm out and about with baby I wear them instead of a bra (unless I'm walking the dogs, then its the sports bra).

@jagadish I’m 35weeks and I’ve heard it’s not recommended to buy nursing bras til about 36 (I already have two but they were great deals). Supposedly your ribcage is still expanding and your boobs will grow another cup size with milk. However, I bought bra extenders and quickly ditched them for 3 wireless Uniqlo bras to get me through pregnancy and they are my lifesavers. No regrets there!

@greenlightning64 For me, the ones I bought when pregnant weren’t even close to the right size. But they held me over until my milk regulated after a week or so postpartum and I could buy the right size. Right after my milk came in my boobs were huge! It took a bit to go down to the new normal.