Weekend fun w/toddlers

@sirtaxedalot I feel you! Luckily in my city we have soccer shots that’s as early as 8:30 am and then dance class or gymnastics at 9:30 or 10! So my morning is packed. And then on Sunday we go to the 8:30 am church service.

But I feel you. A lot of toddler stuff is at 10 am or 1pm Mon- Friday and I’m like 😵‍💫😵‍💫

@kybekynekane You should see the shit show I have going with my 2.5 yo and my 7m old. I like the quarter idea. I wish I had more weekend structure. My husband has been gone for 5 days and returns today so I'm ok with having an absolutely rabid day of small humans as long as they are fed, safe and not overtired.

I always recommend getting out somewhere in public at least once a weekend, ideally something scheduled so you'll have an incentive. Swim lessons, library, park, play date with daycare friends, out for lunch ... Something anything to break up the day!

@katehunt977 Oh man! I feel for you momma and you’re doing a GREAT job!! Sometimes covering the basics is where it’s at 100% and don’t think that you should be doing more then that. Your babies can feel your love.

I can especially imagine how challenging it much be with the age differences and nap time differences. Whew Chile 😅

@kybekynekane Good write-up!

Those early years (able to sit up, not able to walk) my kid was so content in shopping carts. I got one of those cart covers, a snack, a drink, a small toy, and walked through so many damn thrift/discount stores it’s not even funny. I liked the cart covers because they helped contain her stuff and I didn’t have to worry about anything falling through the cracks of the cart. And as a bonus, she wasn’t old enough to ask for anything. Lol

@kybekynekane Sounds very similar to us. She's nearly 2, but in general we found that she needs at least one "outing" a day, preferably two. The outing can be anything out of the house: walk, playground, park, library, class, grocery shopping, errands, etc). This held before we bumped to one nap around 15 months, just made the second outing harder.

Usually the schedule is something like:
  • Wake up, have coffee while she munches on breakfast and mills around.
  • AM outing -- usually a walk or errands
  • Lunch, followed by nap
  • Snack, followed by PM outing (optional) -- often more active, like a playground
  • Make dinner while she plays
  • Dinner, followed by playtime or Ms Rachel until bed
Also agree with your comment that the more they get out the more well-behaved they become. Today she literally stood in line at Petsmart, without complaint, holding my hand while wiggly rescue dogs ran around us.

@little1 Awww she did so good! That sounds like a great schedule! When my little gets a little older I’ll carefully nudge her nap to after lunch. Right now she’s bleary eyed and exhausted before lunch. :)

@kybekynekane The first outing often devolves into a short nap, that's why it's preferably lower-impact. Last weekend I screwed up and took her to a new playground at that time. She had a ball, but passed out on the way home and then refused to nap for the rest of the day

And yes! I told her multiple times how proud I was of her for being so good. I'm not a monster, I did let her pet some dogs, but when I needed her to stay put she did

@kybekynekane Helpful to me also was the book hunt gather parent. It really helped me to shift my thinking from how do I entertain my toddler to how can we work as a team to make sure everyone is happy, our home is clean and running smoothly, and our errands are run. How can we all both work and rest? How can we all find time to do something we love? We aren’t meant to be their little entertainment centers (all the time. I mean, I took mine to a slime museum today! But I had fun, too! Ha!)

@lineman2015 I hope that you find a new rhythm! It must be challenging with two kids at different ages! If you find something that works for you, please share it with all of us!

I’ve no idea what I’d do with two kids at different nap times. 😵‍💫

@stsivo Library museum passes is the only way we do things like that. Even when kiddo is free under three, admission can still be $30 per adult, and between nap, travel and her attention span, we have 2 hours at a place, max. So we can justify pay $30 total for two hours vs $60.

The weather on the weekends around us have been absolute crap, so we’ve been doing more movie afternoons. But once it really starts warming up, we’ll start hitting the beach, and going to nature sanctuaries for walks.

@thebeatensaint I feel you about the 2 hour limit! That’s why I don’t pay for a full day at the children’s museum 😬😬after 2 hours she’s over it. So I go 1.5 hours before they close and get in free every time! It’s awesome:

Back