Weaning sadness

cassidyshay

I apologize if this isn’t a good place to post this but I’m worried if I post in the breastfeeding sub ppl will try to offer advice for making it work and that’s not what I need.

My daughter is three months and to say I gave breastfeeding my all is an understatement. She was a week late and induced with emergency c section after pushing four hours. I was given anti psychotic medication for a panic attack during the surgery which made me unable to hold her afterwards. I was exhausted and out of it and didn’t latch her as much as I should’ve the first couple of days, even though she herself had a great latch and good appetite. I also lost a lot of blood during the c section (hence the panic attack). My milk didn’t come in until day 5 and when it did it came in veryyyy slowly.

We triple fed for six weeks, my supply crawled from 2-3 oz a day the first couple of weeks until finally being able to produce 25-27 oz/day at 2.5 months. I took all the supplements I could think of, Iatched her as much as I could. She stopped being able to transfer milk well. Probably because she got dependent on the bottles while I built my supply. I saw three different lactation consultants multiple times. One lent me a scale to do weighted feeds at home. Sometimes she transferred 4-5 oz at a time, most times 1.5 oz. Every time I would try to start exclusively breastfeeding and stop pumping as much, my supply would start dropping because she can’t empty me as well as the pump can.

My last ditch effort was buying domperidone from Canada. I figured if I could built a bit of an oversupply, it would be easier for her to feed from me. Unfortunately I felt like I was having cardiac side effects and didn’t feel comfortable continuing taking it, even though it did work for me.

So I told myself okay this is it. I’m going to stop. I hateeee pumping bc of the time it takes away from her. But the thing is, on the rare occasion breastfeeding works for us, it is absolutely wonderful. It makes me so happy and peaceful to see her calmly feeding from me. I love feeling like I can provide for her in that way. So when I stopped pumping as much and saw my supply dropping when I pumped to relieve engorgement I freaked out and cried my eyes out.

Now I’m pumping a bit again because l can’t stand the permanence of being done. But I also feel like I’m dragging my family through hell with all the stress of trying to continue. I feel like I’m in breastfeeding purgatory. I’m so sad to stop but so stressed if i continue.

I reached out to my therapist to talk about this. But just wondering for those of you who have weaned, how did you deal with the sadness? I’m embarrassed to say it is making me feel as sad as if someone had died. I didn’t even care about breastfeeding when I was pregnant.

@cassidyshay I don’t know why this isn’t talked about more but there is definitely a crazy hormonal drop when you stop breastfeeding. I felt like I was mourning the death of a family member it was so bad for me. I heard it has to do with all the oxytocin released during breastfeeding and even the nipple stimulation of pumping.

I can happily say though that I 100% feel better ow and do not regret the decision to switch to exclusively formula.

Hang in there!

@dante116 It’s awful!! Thank you for saying that bc it is exactly how I feel, like I have never been so sad in my life which honestly makes me feel very shallow bc this is NOT the worst thing that’s happened to me lol. Do you have any tips for getting through? How long did it take you to feel normal again? I am talking to my therapist next week and have Zoloft (haven’t started it yet bc I’m scared of the possible side effects). I just want to feel better about this so badly 😞

@cassidyshay I stopped pumping 3 weeks ago and my hormones are still going crazy. I cry almost every day for whatever reason. I’m not sure how long it will last, but my babies are what’s getting me through it. They need me, so I try my best for them. Other than that, my husband has been my support.

I have a friend who says she just started feeling normal 6 months after she stopped breastfeeding.

@kody Ugh I’m sorry you’re still crying every day. I definitely cry like every other hour right now lol. Hopefully we both feel better before 6 months!! If you need to talk to anyone about it in the meantime I’m here. I’ve found talking to other people who get it is really helpful. It’s kind of hard to explain this grief to others who haven’t been through it.

@cassidyshay I was in triple feeding hell for over a month after my son’s birth, and then after a silent reflux diagnosis went to just pumping and supplementation with formula. It was hell, but my ego and hormones had me trying to push through. At one point it really felt like my husband was in a conspiracy against me breastfeeding, when in reality, he saw me sobbing all day every day over it and wanted to help make things easier.

I made the decision at 6 weeks to wean, and did so over a two week period. By that 8th week I was finally seeing clearly again, and didn’t regret the decision. What helped me get through the haze was knowing that it was better for my son to have a mentally healthy mama, than to have a fraction of his diet be breast milk. But I really believe that health professionals need to talk about this more to prepare women!

Also, I’m 7 months pp now and honestly wonder if I’d even bother breastfeeding with a second child. Formula has given me a sense of freedom, and I feel so much more in control ! (Plus it doesn’t hurt that your body odour finally gets better after weaning as well!)

@dante116 Totally!! And we need to all stop talking about breastfeeding like it’s THE best. I liked it for the bonding aspect and that’s why I’m sad about it, but I’ve come to learn that all the benefits are really blown out of proportion and exaggerated. I hate that people guilt you into doing it when it’s really sooo much more important to have a mom who is healthy enough to care and love for her child.

@cassidyshay Sorry if this is a bit rambly.

My first baby’s birth was somewhat similar to yours, ended in emergency c section, being put under GA. I was very out of it after waking and in shock after going through labour/then having the section itself. My daughter was given donor milk and syringe fed while I was asleep.

It felt like I was hit by a bus, her dad did a lot of the feedings in hospital because of how awful I felt. So I didn’t latch her enough. We tripe fed for weeks, she developed a bottle preference.

She would scream if I tried to latch her, so I pumped and gave formula. My supply was okay until I got a bad clog then it tanked. I could only produce 100ml per day max. Pumping every 3 hours.

Pumping was awful. I hated it. I tried to bring my supply up with all the things they recommend. Nothing worked.

Eventually, I switched to formula completely at around 6 months. I regretted not switching sooner. After I stopped, and my milk dried up I stopped feeling guilt/sadness. My daughter is now 20 months old and is so happy, smart, funny and adorable.

I blame hormones a lot for how I felt, and how it was so hard for me to stop and switch. Because like you I didn’t care about breastfeeding when I was pregnant, and after my milk dried up I looked back and thought I was so silly for not stopping sooner.

You could try and give yourself an end date of when you will start weaning so you have time to come to terms with it, and then you could also get some of your breastmilk made into some jewellery as a gift to yourself for all the effort you’ve put in. This is what I did and it helped me. You will be feel better once you actually stop.

You’ve got this OP.

@cassidyshay I didn’t have the sadness but I understand the awful limbo place. I was so stressed about whether I was making the right decision and I knew once I stopped it would be permanent so I dragged my feet on it.

@katrina2017 Yes the permanence makes it feel so final and awful. Very happy you didn’t have to deal with the sadness! It’s like I know it’s ridiculous to be this sad about it but it doesn’t matter, I still am.

@cassidyshay It’s not ridiculous, breastfeeding grief is a real thing. I haven’t read all the other comments but I’m sure lots of other moms are speaking to it. If not, look through some other posts, it comes up a lot on this sub. You’re definitely not alone.

@cassidyshay I recently switched over. I felt so sad about it. when it worked, it was great. I was most upset over the fact that I couldn’t explain to my son why he suddenly wasn’t getting boob anymore.

but once i did it, I realized just how much stress i was putting on myself and my family. i’m a better mom now. my husband was so supportive but now he’s like “i’m glad we’re past it now.”

@richgardner Omg I can’t wait to be past it. And totally think mine will be relieved as well! My husband has been so supportive too. Literally any decision I made, he was on board and helping however he could. I feel so lucky. I’m glad you’re was supportive as well.

@cassidyshay i’ve been saying this on all posts-

that voice in your head is your inner cave woman. To her, stopping breastfeeding means your child will not be fed and will suffer. She doesn’t know about forumla. But once you stop and start the formula full time and she can see baby is fine, she’ll shut up. It’s those darn primal instincts that aren’t letting you stop.

@cassidyshay I both loved and hated breastfeeding my first. I knew I was done around 3 months when my mental state was suffering. I was sad and exhausted. I took some videos of my little guy breastfeeding and I still look at them every once in a while. My son is now 3.

Since I loved the closeness of breastfeeding, I thought I'd try again with my second. She's 2 weeks old and I gave up on day 3. Granted, I ended up with postpartum preeclampsia and was straight up too nauseated to breastfeed... But the switch to formula has been amazing. My boobs are almost completely back to mine, my husband loves feeding her and helping more, my son has fed his baby sister from a bottle and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, my support network can help more, I know how much she's getting, etc. Literally everything about formula makes it easier for me to be a better mom and for our family to all bond with baby girl so much faster and easier. It's just generally been great reminding myself of all this good that came with formula.

@vickic I’m so glad this time around is going better for you!! That all sounds so sweet, I love that your son is helping to feed her 🥹I can’t even let myself start to think about a second child just because I’ve found birth and now this to be devastating at times. But I hope when the time comes I can feel just as much peace with however we feed them!

Back