Venting…

@poptart1919 Hey! I’m sort of similar to you, but I had lost less weight than you and my BMI was a little higher when I got pregnant (around 41). I’m also 32. I did not discuss conception with my doctor because I was afraid I’d get the “lose weight first” advice. It sounds like you’ve been trying and it hasn’t taken yet, so just in case it’s useful I’ll tell you what our conception experience was like:

I had been on hormonal birth control for many years and got off of it in October 2022. I started tracking my cycles and trying to get an idea of when I was ovulating based on period dates. We don’t have super high libidos though, and naturally end up having sex a few times a month, and didn’t happen to wind up pregnant casually. So in June 2023 I started taking my basal body temperature every morning to try and further pinpoint ovulation. Did that a couple months and tried to plan sex for the day I thought I would ovulate. When that didn’t work after a couple months, in August 2023 I bought two kinds of ovulation strips: the cheap ones and the clear blue advanced (with the flashing/still smile, which it sounds like you also have!). In august we had sex all five days of “high” or “peak”. I learned that my “peak” window is short (I was doing the cheap OPK tests like four times a day to see if I could pinpoint it more clearly). No luck in august, so in September we both cut way back on drinking (like one to two drinks a week) and still kept up the temperature tracking and the ovulation kits and had sex on all the high and peak days. That month we got pregnant.

Sorry about the long novel here, but I just thought since we seem similar body-wise it might be helpful to hear what worked for me (in case you haven’t been doing these things). I hope it happens for you soon!

@divinespork Thank you!! So, after all of that, my husband got his semen analysis results back today. He has very low sperm count. I’m sad, but we’re hopeful. The doc said we might have to go the IVF route. His doc will be looking into other items first.

@poptart1919 I was told by my gyno that there was no point in pursuing fertility treatment until you’re under their required bmi for treatment. What she didn’t take into account was the fact that there are many things to be explored other than just jumping straight to ivf or other assisted conception methods that I would have liked to have a conversation about.

Back