Updated Recipe Rolodex

mendicant

Several of you offered additions last time I posted this (thank you!), so I’ve updated.

Please comment quick, easy (and ideally, cheap) recipes; I’ll add and repost as long as I continue receiving new ideas on each repost.

I won’t be offended at all if this isn’t something people care to use. Please let me know if it’s unhelpful (or if the structure could be better); if the overwhelming consensus is “drop it”, it’s cool with me.

Here’s the link.

@mendicant I didn’t create these but some of my go to recipes (all vegetarian but easily adaptable):

@mendicant Thanks for putting this together!

Here’s my submission for Bare Minimum Chili:

1 onion (could sub for powder if you want no chopping)

Cumin

Chili powder

Paprika

Tiny dash cinnamon

Salt

Pepper

Crushed garlic ( could sub for powder if you want no chopping)

Big can crushed tomato (fire roasted is our favorite)

Small can chopped tomatoes and green chilis

Tiny can tomato paste

2 cans kidney beans rinsed

1 can black beans rinsed

1 can corn

Sautéed onion in a bit of oil. Add seasonings (I like to cook them before adding liquids, I think it brings out the flavors). Add garlic (pro tip: when you’re crushing a few cloves, go ahead and crush the whole head, put in a container and cover with olive oil and keep in the fridge. Now you have fresh garlic any time!). Add everything from cans except for corn. Add one big can full of water. Should seem a little soupy. Bring to a simmer. Simmer lid on for 20 min then take the lid off and add corn, simmer another 10 to cook the liquid down to desired consistency.

To bring this up a notch:

Sauté ground turkey/chicken beef before onions. Add onions when meat is half way cooked. Drain oil if greasy.

To be vegetarian: chop mushrooms somewhat finely and add when onions are half cooked. Don’t stir too much.

To do a fridge clean out and make it nutrient dense we like to add zucchini, chopped bell peppers, and any other random veggies right before adding canned things.

It’s all about the toppings! Avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, red onion, jalapeños. I chop a bunch of these and leave in a container. The herbs I chop and freeze and add what I need whenever.

Serve with chips, corn bread, or garlic bread!

Made too much chili? Freeze it! Add to nachos, make a burrito, add to eggs. The possibilities are endless!

Back