Unpopular opinion: u don't have to setup a nursery room now

@ron351ne I think you really meant, “You don’t need a fully set up nursery room now,” which I’d agree to not stress out about. The nursery is for the parents, not the baby. For us, it’s the nighttime changing station, a place to rock her in the glider while the other sleeps on rough nights, and even the not-yet-slept-in crib is a playpen while putting away clothes. No, the baby doesn’t need any of that fully set up in a separate room, but it helps. Plus, I can’t imagine trying to do it now that I’m fully back to work.

@ron351ne This is very bad advice. Set it up now with the basics so you're not trying to do it when you have a baby. That is very hard to do and you can build furniture better when you've slept for more than an hour in thr past week.

@ron351ne Even though we didn't use it for sleep for a while, I would have been too tired during the early newborn days to set up a whole room, it was nice to have it done. I breastfeed and have dogs and had visitors, so it was also nice to have a quiet little space all set up with everything I needed for when I needed to feed.

You definitely could get by for a long time without having one though!

@ron351ne Hospital bag is much more important than nursery being done on the arrival day. As someone who had a perfect, finished nursery but didn’t have a packed hospital bag day of, trust me

@ron351ne We set ours up and while we don't have her sleeping in it (clearvue sidesleep bassinet ftw) it's nice to have a room for books and toys, the nursing chair, and god help me the changing table and diaper trash can (if i had to sleep next to the diaper trash I might just sleep on the patio).

That said, if it's a space or bandwidth issue, I could totally see putting it off until 6 months old or later.

@ron351ne I disagree with this, but if it works for you that’s cool.

From our perspective, the baby was sleeping in our room in a “next to me” by the bed for the first three months of her life, but she moved into her own room when she outgrew that.

We decorated and built the furniture for her room (nursery) before she was born on the basis we’d probably be too exhausted to focus on that once she was born.

If it worked for you I’m happy for you, but I would personally recommend doing it before the baby arrives in my own experience.

@ron351ne It's different for everyone. I was so worried when my wife had her first (false) labor because NOTHING was put together or finished in the baby's room. Not the crib or changing table. Luckily, by the time the real labor happened, most was finished by that point.

But see, in my house, the baby's room was just across the hall and we didn't have the room in our bedroom for baby stuff since it's a small urban style home.

It's also part of the process... the nesting instinct that helps you prepare physically and mentally. But life is busy and hard when you're expecting.

But you still need the basics.

@ron351ne I, and i guess a lot of people, dont have room in the master. Our bassinet is in the master, but changing table and crib go in their room.

@ron351ne We changed our baby’s room so much after 9-12 months anyway so I was glad we didn’t put much effort into a nursery. Just the absolute basics

I like knowing my kids interests and adding things as they are needed

@ron351ne I’m reorganizing my office now and clearing out clutter so if/when the time comes it’ll be an easy transition. Not seeing any reason to go overboard.

@ron351ne Bad advice.

You're going to have to set it up eventually. Why would you want to do this while you actively have a child? Make life easier for yourself and setup the nursery before they're born and you have more free time.

@wandaj If u think its totally a bad advice then go ahead. My point was sure setup a changing station and dresser etc but don't go overboard and lose sleep on the design, wallpaper, etc. I have a 6month now. I bought him semi expensive toys but guess what his favorite toy is? A tupperware. All the extravagant stuff doesn't matter to them.

@ron351ne We put a crib in our guest room and called it a day. 15 weeks in and he's still sleeping in our room in the bassinet. In a couple months he'll start to sleep in "his" room, but I doubt he'll have strong feelings about what it looks like for a few more years yet.

@tooticki84 Exactly my point. Prepare for changing station, dresser and all that but dont go overboard and fall on social media where they show how extravagant their nurseries are. Don't fret with the extra stuff.

@ron351ne The definition of what you call setting up the nursery might change the discussion from the original post.

As in mine is 100% set up, but of the extra stuff you might call it not set up.

@ron351ne Had our little guy sleeping in the nursery from day one and at 2 months was sleeping 8 hours at night. Now he's 10 months and sleeps about 10-11 hours at night.

Back