Top 5 things you’d recommend

@mmiranda I was definitely drawn to this group because of the “moderately” part. I am also a minimalist so I’m not one to create waste and spend money by getting rid of perfectly good items. It’s a balance for me

My top 5 suggestions In no particular order:
  1. limit fragrances in in household items. For me it’s specifically dishsoap, dishwasher pods, my toddlers lotion and shampoo, laundry detergent, etc are all fragrance free. We also use wool balls in our dryer. I also learned one of my mascaras has fragrance in the ingredients so I stopped using that
  2. Swap out plastic for silicone and glass in the kitchen. I still have some plastic stuff right now but I use my glass first for storage and I avoid microwaving food in the plastic. Plan to eventually swap out of non stick pans once I learn how to use cast iron or stainless steel without ruining them
  3. Buy second hand where you can. This is where for me, minimalism overlaps with granola. Taking care of ourselves also means taking care of our planet. And saving money in one area means you may have extra money for another.
  4. Don’t blindly believe the EWG and organic industries claims. Stay away from pseudoscience and influencers with NO real credentials. Do your research (actual research like peer reviewed sources. A bias google search, podcasts, and random websites are not research) There is an outrageous amount of fear mongering within the crunchy community.
  5. Take care of your mental health. It is JUST as important as your physical health. If you tend to get anxious and have OCD like me, it’s not healthy to go too deep into rabbit holes of how to change your lifestyle. Don’t let it consume your mind and interfere with enjoying your life. What’s the point of trying to prolong your life if you aren’t enjoying it?? Start by making changes that are easy and convenient for you. You can’t change your lifestyle overnight. It will all come with time. If you aren’t ready to give something up (for me it’s my personal makeup, hair, and skincare products🤷🏼‍♀️ I know this would be at the top of some people’s lists but I’m not there yet) then don’t. Wait until you’re ready
Bonus: I focus more on my 2 year old than me. He comes first. He’s younger, I’ve already been exposed to stuff for almost 3 decades. I’d rather put the majority of mental energy and decision making I have into my child. That’s why all his stuff is fragrance free but all mine aren’t. But not to say I don’t take care of myself too. He obviously needs a healthy mom

@allisonintx Start with water filtration. Get a good water filtration system for your home. This cuts down on all of the plastic bottle waste. There are so many good brands out there.

Also for cleaning products use vinegar, water and a spray bottle and make it yourself. So much cheaper!!

Then cookware - slowly start swapping out everything non-stick for stainless steel/cast iron

@allisonintx Easiest thing for me was to find a refill store near me! I started focusing on plastic-free for one room - bathroom. I learned so much from the shop owners both about plastic-free alternatives and better/safer ingredients for so many things! I think I find a new swap every time I go in.

They're gaining popularity where I am in the Northeast so hopefully there are some locations wherever you are!

@allisonintx Make your own laundry soap. It’s so easy. I do 3 cups laundry soap, 3 cups borox, 3 cups baking doss, 1 cup epsom salt, one cup regular salt. Mix all together and use 3/4 tbsp for larger loads. I add vinegar to every cycle.

@allisonintx
  1. Eliminate all animal products from your meals and cosmetics. Oh yes y'all can say anything you want, downvote, or get mad and it won't change the truth! Nothing more carcinogenic, unhealthy, and bad for the planet than eating animals.
I mean that's it for me, that's how granola we are, everything else is just feel-good stuff, but whether you are looking after your family's health or the environment, any other action you do is like spraying a garden hose on a forest fire :) but it does help keep the whole thing more simple.