Too harsh

goodlistener

My teenage daughter every time I question her how she's doing in school or if there are assignments she needs to finish she always tells me she's got it handled. So I trust her to make sure her assignments are turned in and she's passing her classes. I'm not strict on grades but at least to pass is all I ask. She says she has got it and I just got a message from her school saying she's missing 11 assignments in total from 3 classes. I am just so tired of constantly telling her and asking her and advising, etc. I give her free range to make the right decisions and I let her hang out with friends, have a social life. Always giving her money to get herself nice things. Etc. I'm spending over 10k on her sweet 16 and I still don't see any improvements from her. When I think she's doing good in school and on top of her grades I get messages she's not turning in important assignments. I told her today I would cancel her party if she does not pass sophomore year with decent grades. At least 75. B and C I'm not shooting for a rocket scientist here. Sheesh I think it's pretty reasonable and she keeps taking advantage of my leniency.what should i do?? Am i being too harsh??

@goodlistener You're way too lenient. Most schools have an online portal for parents to see grades and assignments. I set threshold notifications for my child's grades. I also check homework before she submits it.

@sandgroper101 Different school districts use different systems. The district where I work uses Genesis. My son's district uses Aesop and I have the threshold grade notification set for 80%.

If you don't know what your district uses, OP, contact the guidance department and ask them.

@goodlistener Idk about too harsh, but it sounds kind of more like you're lenient, and suddenly panicking because you left the teenager in charge with no guardrails and now you're off course and feeling responsible, so you're coming down on them to fix it. Maybe I'm misreading it, apologies if you hare on top of it but this is still going on. Did you set clear expectations at the beginning of the year when she had an opportunity to make changes? In this post you say you're expecting just a pass, then you say you want 75, which is it? If her grades are bad, it's probably too late to get them up now. But, she's not really taking advantage of your leniency if you haven't set clear expectations, preferably with her input & consent, and preferably ones that can be monitored regularly but infrequently to make sure she's meeting her challenges.

@goodlistener …..You’re spending $10,000 on a sweet 16 party for her? And she can’t be bothered to do her schoolwork?

I’d take away all internet and all socializing until she’s current on all assignments, with at least passing grades.

@goodlistener I check grades every single day on the online platform.

For the teens - If their grades are currently straight As, then I leave them completely alone. I don’t tell them to do their homework, or ask them, or anything. The only thing I will say is “nice work”. I don’t tell them when to go to bed and they get permission to do all of the things with their friends.

If the grade falls to a B, I get to start nagging. Hey did you finish your homework? You never turned in this assignment, is it done yet? Show me. You can’t do this thing until you show me your stuff is done.

If it falls below a B, then privileges start getting removed. Answers to requests for money or going places is No until they are earned by sitting down and showing me all of their work and I get to check it and teach them what they missed and have them redo it until it’s correct.

I make sure my kids absolutely understand that the way to get me off of their back is to get the grades up. With the grades comes the freedom from micromanagement. If they say stop micromanaging me, I say of course, as soon as you have straight As. No ifs ands or buts.

Under no circumstances would I be paying 10K for a birthday party for a kid blowing me off about grades and getting Cs and Ds. That’s absolutely ridiculous. You’re not acting like a parent, you’re acting like an enabling doormat sugar mama.

@goodlistener Do you know why they aren't being turned in? Is she completing them and not handing them in or not completing them?

Have you sat with her and got her to show you how she manages her homework schedule? Does she actually have a plan? Sounds like there is a gap in her plan somewhere

@goodlistener I've got this problem with my kid too. Idk how to fix it. She wants to be a lawyer and I'm struggling to not just tell her she won't be able to do that if this is the level of effort she puts into school

@dar12lop Same. I don’t know what to do either. We have a portal that shows all assignments/grades and I’ve been on her case the last month which has caused many arguments because now she thinks I’m micromanaging. I know she understands what she’s learning since she’s able to explain what she’s learned in great detail and gets good grades on tests, but assignments with a due dates are always missing. She says she just forgets to turn them in. If you guys figure it out let me know.

@goodlistener If you threatened to take the party away if she doesn’t get a 75 in her classes or above- you better follow through. Otherwise, you’re going to get more of this, because you have a track record of no consequences.

Although I suspect you want the party as much as she does- who wouldn’t as a parent. You want to take joy in loving your child.

I have the same tendencies as you. I have learned the hard way that I didn’t follow through on consequences- and also gave bad consequences based on reactionary parenting.

The thing is, my daughter was failing Spanish and had basically 10-12 missing assignments, I decided to change my habit. I said “wow you better make those assignments up, or you might end up in summer school and miss the TXT concert you have tickets for first week of June.” (Kind of like, hey the responsibility is on you if you want to go to this concert.) That didn’t really phase her (sink in, in a real way), but she stayed home sick the same week, and instead of giving her internet. I said, “you can have internet when you complete assignments on your school computer”. So all she had to do was do assignments. No other option. She also made an effort to go to her teacher in a study hall and complete assignments she wasn’t sure how to do.

Eventually she passed Spanish. And that’s good for me.

The thing I’m saying is:
1- don’t over involve yourself. Yes you can check grades but I actually wouldn’t get mired in the work WITH your daughter. It’s helicopter parenting, and kids hate it. I checked the grades and saw the missing assignments myself, or when I saw F’s for the class- I mentioned it to my kid. But that’s as deep in the weeds as I got. They need to grow up and if it’s gonna take failing, then they have to fail. Us doing it for them or leading them through it makes them resentful, and also doesn’t help with real life skills.

2- If my daughter had 2 F’s in two different classes for her class grades and could raise them, your daughter can too. My advice is, it’s our natural mode to freak out, so do the opposite. If assignments are missing, it’s kind of the easiest scenario…. She just has to complete them for credit. I discovered that with my daughter… so the 0’s turned into grades and raised the overall grade. Ultimately, stay calm and detach yourself from her grades. They are hers to figure out.

3- Maybe don’t make threats as big as taking away a sweet 16 party, because you know deep down you aren’t going to do that. Start with the little things, and only in the moment. So mention 1 time that she needs to turn in assignments, and let it go. When she asks later that day, or that week to do something fun, or to buy something- say: “how many of those assignments did you complete and turn in? When you get some of that done, we can do (fun thing).”

So motivating in the moment. Not when you are reacting to the school calling you, so you threaten her with huge life events.

4- If it’s something she really won’t do on her own, I would involve the school, and her counselor. So, instead of you trying to force her to do work… write or call the counselor or learning coordinator and say, “my daughter has all these missing assignments… is there some way you can work with her on a schedule for her to get them done” and give them the authority. Since lenient parents are often a joke to teens… she might actually feel supported and less overwhelmed if someone at school helps work out how to bring the grades up.

Finally, missing assignments isn’t the end of the world. You really can raise the final class grades up. The goal for you is to give her ownership, create natural consequences in times when she will feel it, and work with the school if needed. Maybe apologize to her about threatening to cancel the party, then stress that turning in the assignments is her job, but you all can ask the school for a little help- leave it there. Give natural consequences that will motivate her to complete them.

My biggest regret as a parent has been not being calm. So that’s what I work on the most. Myself. Not trying to change my kid. But change me.

@goodlistener For me I figure until their brains have developed to a point where they can be in charge of making decisions that are going to impact them in the long run then I better be there to catch them if they start going off the rails. Not turning an assignments is going to impact grades and it's going to impact are there post-secondary choices. I think you've been far too lenient and there's no way in hell I would spend that on her birthday if she's been lying to you this whole time.

@goodlistener I stopped checking my kids grades when they started high school. I figured if they were going to fail it might as well be before it impacted university applications. Both kids learned to look after themselves and have been successful in challenging university programs.
About the birthday party, my question is, was it clear when party preparations began that it was contingent on good grades? I’m not a fan of changing the goal posts after the game has begun. It really demotivates people and often results in people feeling defeated. I would look for another way to motivate her, or let her fail.

@goodlistener While some kids start high school and are totally capable of running their own show, there are many that need extra help with reminders, studying etc. Kids mature at different rates. You definitely need to set clear goals for her, talk to her about what she needs from you to help her succeed and help her brainstorm how to shore up the weak areas, like completing or turning in assignments. My son struggled his freshman year. I went through a checklist every day after school with him and checked his grades often. We also decided to remove distractions until he was passing again. Freshman year is too soon to toss them into the deep end and watch them drown imo.

@goodlistener Honestly. I think you're not too harsh, but you've been way too lenient. She's prioritizing the wrong things. Schoolwork needs to be done first, then socializing/internet.

This is going to take effort on your part as a parent. It will be painful for both of you. But she must learn.
Every day, you must go through her school assignments one by one with her. Ensure she finishes them. She must sit in the main area of your home, not hiding out in her bedroom. Take away her phone and turn off the internet until she finishes her work. Once all her work is completed, give it back to her. She doesn't get her phone or internet back until her work is done.

Back