To the moms who’ve had a tubal

gabriel1986

I am 25(f). My husband is the same age. We have an almost 3 y/o son. We are vehemently OAD. We have no desire for anymore children and feel like our family is complete. That being said, I want to pull the trigger on a tubal because I am TIRED of birth control, but I am a little hesitant about the procedure in general and then the recovery. I have heard mixed stories from friends/women online. Can you share your experiences please? What exactly did the surgeon take out/cut/burn/etc? How long was the surgery? What was your recovery like? Was it worth it? TYIA!

@ktores He refused. He knows the science behind it. We have had in depth discussions. He just won’t do it. And at the end of the day, his body, his choice. I can’t force him to do anything just as he can’t force me to either carry a pregnancy or terminate one.

@pneaveill1 In this instance, he is definitely being selfish, but again, I can’t force him to do anything. He’s aware it’s a selfish decision. For what it’s worth, we have a great marriage and he’s a fantastic partner and dad. This is the ONE thing in our 7 years together he has not compromised on, so I’ll let him have it. With or without him, I won’t be having anymore children, so the option for me to get the surgery is the best one.

@gabriel1986 I had a bilateral salpingectomy done which is the REMOVAL of both fallopian tubes. My insurance covered it 100% the surgery part took about 30min I was in recovery for about an hour in a half and then rode 2.5hours home.

The only pain I had was the soreness from trapped gas due to it being a laparoscopic surgery. I seriously didn’t need any time to recover it was very very easy my “scars” are literally like 1cm long and practically invisible.

I don’t regret my decision at all. It hasn’t affected my periods at all the are on time, 5days, normal flow, no added symptoms periods. I would 100000% recommend it to any woman even before I would recommend the man getting ✂️

@mrwallyboy78 I had this procedure done and also had a really easy recovery. I had it done on a Thursday, took Friday off and was ready to go back to work on Monday. I was just a little sore for a couple of days, and had no complications.

@gabriel1986 I just had mine three weeks ago! It was laparoscopic (so a tiny incision on each side and one through the belly button). I never felt real pain other than the trapped gas in my shoulders from where they inflate your abdomen; it was more soreness like I'd done crunches. I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug for a month as it can cause a hernia. The surgery itself took about an hour and I'd say I got good energy back in two weeks (due to an unexpected issue I'll describe below). I was at the hospital for about four hours total before going home.

I did take two weeks off work, though I think most people take just one, but it turned out to be necessary because I had a severe allergic reaction to an ingredient in the skin glue. That was by far the worst part--itching, oozing, swollen, scaly, it was terrible and ended with antibiotics and steroids.

I am very happy I had it done as I live in a conservative state and now I don't have the monthly worry of a surprise pregnancy that I'm stuck with regardless of my health or the health of the fetus! Three weeks out I feel pretty normal, though I also have endo so it's hard for me to tell what may be residual pain from the surgery and what's just my messed up uterus.

@gabriel1986 My tubal was laparoscopic, so no huge scars! Just three, one on either side of my abdomen and one in my belly button. The procedure took 45 min, maybe an hour. I was in the hospital for one hour post oo, and my recovery time was 2 weeks. I was only sore for a couple of days and was up and moving again after that!

@gabriel1986 I had my tubes removed back in 2021. Dropped my kid off at school in the morning and went straight to hospital. I was done by noon. Husband dropped me off at home and picked up kiddo from school. Had to take it easy for about a week. No heavy lifting, no stretching fully with my arms above my head, and sleeping on my back.

It was absolutely worth it to me. I knew I don’t ever want to be pregnant again. Lots of things could happen in my life and my marriage but I will not be pregnant again (hopefully).

My insurance did cover the whole thing and my doctor was very helpful in getting my procedure approved. My primary care doctor had to give approval, for some reason.

@gabriel1986 I’m going to echo what I saw in most of the other comments already posted: I did it both to prevent pregnancy and to reduce my cancer risk. My husband was fully willing to get a vasectomy but then the political climate changed somewhat in my eyes, and I felt like if anything ever happened to me that was out of my control (even though I live in a very blue state), I would want to be able to make a decision for myself rather than having that choice removed. Due to health problems, it would be a very poor decision for me to have another pregnancy in any capacity, and this felt like the safest route.

I had a bilateral salpingectomy so I no longer have fallopian tubes. The surgery was done at an outpatient center and it took a few days for me to feel normal again, but recovery really wasn’t all that big a deal. The worst part was gas from my abdomen traveled up to my shoulders and it was painful until it worked its way out. I got the surgery done after I had quit one job and just prior to starting a new one so work wasn’t a concern, but had I been employed at the time I could have gone back after 3 or 4 days/after a long weekend.

@gabriel1986 My wife had this done at the recommendation of her doctor and because it was supposed to be 100% covered by insurance while a vasectomy for me would have only been 80% covered. Procedure went fine and recovery was fast.

A few months later we got a bill in the mail for over $5000. Turns out our insurance didn't cover the removal at all. We fought the insurance for a year but eventually it went to collections so we ended up paying out of pocket.

Double check with your insurance 🙂

@gabriel1986 I just had my tubal ligation 3 weeks ago and I’m very happy I did it! My husband also refused to get a vasectomy and I wanted to get off BC. My experience was great. I had a consultation first where the Doctor explained the surgery. There wasn’t any pushback since I’m 30 and already have a 3 year old. The surgery itself went smoothly. I got to the hospital about 2 hours before to get checked in and prepped. About 2 seconds after they administered the anesthesia, I was out. The surgery took under an hour. Once I was out of surgery, they gave me ibuprofen and an anti-nausea medicine. I left after about 2 hours in the recovery room. For me, recovery was a bit harder than I thought. My doctor made it sound like I’d be up and walking around that night. But I had a hard time sitting up on my own and walking for a few days. Definitely give yourself a few days to rest afterwards. But after about 3 days I was able to walk and get up by myself. I still took it easy for 2 weeks. But now I’m over 2 weeks out and back to normal.

I forgot to add what another commenter mentioned: the trapped gas gave me some pains the first 2 days. I didn’t realize it would make my shoulders and neck hurt from the pressure of the gas

Back