The new Titanium Always Pan Pro. Do we think it’s truly coating-free and safe?

bmillerware

I’ve been looking to swap out my cookware with a greener option. Stainless steel seems a bit intimidating and I have an electric stovetop so cast iron may scratch it. I just saw the new Titanium Always Pan Pro was launched and wondered if anyone has purchased it or done any digging on the claims they’ve made. It is claiming to be coating-free and PFA-free, using a textured surface to create the nonstick results. Appreciate the input! https://fromourplace.com/products/t...MIjfSgjInNhQMVFLBaBR0ikgcdEAQYASABEgINSvD_BwE

@sevenout03 I have an induction stove and use cast iron nearly every day. Induction just needs your pots and pans to be magnetic. The manual with my stove even specifies that cast iron is a great option, just don't slide the pan around the glass top, which you shouldn't be doing with any pans on glass top anyway.

@bmillerware “New non-stick technology” thats trademarked and they won’t explain without doing a deep dive? Not a fucking chance. It sounds ok when I read what it is, but I absolutely would not trust this.

Stick with non-coated, tried and true materials. Stainless steel or cast iron is the way to go. I’ve never had a problem with decent stainless steel pans, and I cook eggs on it every day.

@bmillerware Yes I know. Still don’t trust it. I know nothing about the safety of titanium, but I do know it is not an even distributor of heat, so I suspect there is something that’s been done to it to make it decent to cook on.

@congnh2412 Titanium is not new though? It has been used in frying pans before in different ways and titanium is has been surgically inserted into people for quite a while now.

@tonycolors I said it before, but because titanium does not distribute heat well on its own, I suspect there is something else that has been added to the alloy or changed in some way to make it better to cook on. That “something” is what I’m skeptical of.

@tonycolors Even more reason to be skeptical when there are a bunch of different alloys involved. Better to stick with cast iron or stainless steel where you know exactly what you’re getting.

@congnh2412 What? They're not alloys. They're layers. Having layers like this is incredibly common. Demeyere does it the same way, but with stainless steel on the top. Other pans, such as tefal, have also had titanium dust on the top layer.

@bmillerware I assume any coating or nonstick technology has the potential to contain any sorts of unwanted additives. Not to mention $195 is a lot of money for one pan! It might not have PFAS, but I don't trust any kind of "proprietary" tech or coatings because they're not disclosing exactly what makes it that way. Teflon was marketed as cutting edge and safe until we knew it to be otherwise.

I'd just stick with the classic, plain old stainless steel. Stainless steel is only intimidating because nonstick companies heavily market that they're hard to use. I love my Tramontina 12" pan for ~$50 and now it's down to $35 on Amazon. People over complicate the pre-heating process for stainless steel pans. I rarely do it and am just fine sautéing with a bit of oil or butter. Any stuck on bits come off when you deglaze the pan anyway!

@bmillerware maybe deglazing is the wrong word to use, but a lot of the dinners I made are all cooking in the same pan and almost always involve adding in a liquid at some point. whenever you add the liquid to the pan, it lifts any stuck on bits. like if I'm making a stir fry, once the veggies and protein are cooked I add in some veggies broth and soy sauce etc and scrape the pan once the bits loosen from the heat and moisture

I suppose that wouldn't apply to things like eggs, or if you're toasting something (e.g., quesedilla, grilled cheese). And if things get stuck, you can use the same "deglazing" trick and just add some water to the still hot (but now empty pan) and scrape the bits off the bottom.

Back