Tantrums after starting pre-k

bubby348

My 18-month started pre-k last week. He cries when we drop him off and on and off throughout the day. When we pick him up, he is happy to see us but not in distress. However, when he get home he throws tantrums all night crying and screaming and clinging to my leg. Anyone with experience?

@jesuslover_dad_442 What do you mean? He was a pandemic baby. He spent the first 18 months home w us and a nanny in the house. Now he goes to pre-k 5 days a week until 3. His whole world has been upended but he seems to be okay when we pick him up - smiling and such. But, he unravels, crying, etc, and won’t leave my wife’s side at home.

@bubby348 no wonder he’s having a hard time adjusting. He spent his WHOLE life in the house with one or two people and suddenly y’all are forcing him to be in an unfamiliar place with strangers. You could be a little more empathetic towards your literal baby.

@katrina2017 No need to respond with cruel comments. I’m asking for advice from a forum I was told was educated and helpful. You can keep your cynical and unkind opinions to yourself. They are not appreciated.

@bubby348 again with the lack of empathy lol dude I’m not trying to be an asshole. Seriously why else would your kid be having a hard time??? His whole life he’s most likely never even been a room with more than 5 people in it at once 🤷‍♀️

@sparkkle I'm with you and the other commenter; 18mo is way too young for Pre-K. At that age kids just need free play.

To answer OPs question, since your kid is so young they can't handle the structure of Pre-K. Having too much structure can cause kids to get frustrated.

Also, it's the first week. The kid needs time to transition. Anytime you mess with a kids routine you'll see behavior changes.

@bubby348 Is this a daycare program that includes nap time? He's probably not napping well, and so by the evening/night, he's over-tired and can't regulate his emotions. He needs more sleep, either better naps or earlier bedtime.

@chriscomplex Thank you! The confusing piece is they are saying he is napping just fine. Otherwise, I would totally jump to this explanation as well. I will see how he is today.

Back