SUV for tall husband with second row a/c and good gas mileage

@tdear25 OP, you really need to read this thread. Then make your decision. It is your decision and yours alone. Make an informed one and you’ll be happy.

Fwiw, a nice suv will go a long way too. It is your life after all. Minivans are cool too but look like fucking bricks. :/

I decided to buy a Diesel engine class B RV actually. Really helps with leaving home on time with kids

Edit: no suv has good gas mileage. You are better off buying a used Prius which gets 50 mpg and a suv for occasional drives.

@tdear25 Have four kids and I bought a Subaru Ascent. There is plenty of space for all for kids and I have a ton of headspace and I'm 6'. I get 26 mpg highway and 18 ish in the city. It's a peppy ride too as the turbocharged inline 4 provides pretty solid power to get you 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds. One knock is that I bought the car with captains chairs so I'm a little less flexible hauling everyone and putting the 3rd row down for extra storage. I have one with cross bars on the roof so if I wanted to get a luggage shell for extra storage on trips, I can. I rented a minivan when my SO got into an accident and let me tell you, it was a complete dog. I think it was a new Chrysler whatever model they have. Sluggish engine, terrible ride. It did have a lot of room but the middle seats didn't slide which made getting in and out with car seats a pain in the ass. As you are used to driving a Mazda, I don't recommend a minivan if you want a similar driving experience.

@tdear25 You can do a minivan. A minivan solves all of your problems. All of them. We had a Sienna and an Odyssey when the kids were younger. We traded the Odyssey in for a smaller SUV (QX60) back in 2020 now that the kids are out of booster seats.

@tdear25 I too hate minivans. I think if you are going to spend a significant chunk of money then it’s should be something that’s inspiring to go in the road and not just a kid shuttle.

I haven’t seen it mentioned, but you should check out the Chevy Traverse. It has all the rooms of the Tahoe without driving a Tahoe and all the weights. It has sliding second rows with reclining captain chairs if you opt for that. Very roomy in any row. Most 3-row SUVs will not leave you with much cargo space with the third row up, but the Traverse gives you big enough cargo space. I could fit really large double strollers in the cargo. Wife begin to line suitcase across. If you do freeway the. It’s very efficient at 24 mpg, but it’s terrible in city.

If I was in the market for an SUV now I would look into the Palisade or Telluride as well. They look so nice.

@fratagen2 I just saw a traverse on my way home today and was thinking I’d need to add it to my list! Thankfully most of my commute is highway, I have a very convenient exit to my work.

Yeah, I spend 2.5 hours a day in my car, I want to somewhat like it. I realize a minivan may be a very practical choice but I’m just not going to get one.

@tdear25 Simple Honda CRV
They’re fucking Dope!
We bought a 2017 crv touring before our twin boys were born and have loved it ever since!
I’m 6’4” 230lbs and there is plenty of room. Rear doors open beyond 90° for easy loading and unloading of little hams. Spacious trunk area with really smart design (fits our double stroller easily) rear seat reclines which is comfortable and allows for a really snug install for car seat bases. 4wd, 30+ mpg, 2nd longest lasting vehicle out (Toyota forerunner is number 1) towing capable for bike trailers ect
It’s a beauty all around! Good luck

@boaduw Hello! You have made the mistake of writing "ect" instead of "etc."

"Ect" is a common misspelling of "etc," an abbreviated form of the Latin phrase "et cetera." Other abbreviated forms are etc., &c., &c, and et cet. The Latin translates as "et" to "and" + "cetera" to "the rest;" a literal translation to "and the rest" is the easiest way to remember how to use the phrase.

Check out the wikipedia entry if you want to learn more.

[sup]I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Comments with a score less than zero will be automatically removed. If I commented on your post and you don't like it, reply with "!delete" and I will remove the post, regardless of score. Message me for bug reports.[/sup]

@tdear25 I have a Ford Flex and it has ample room in front and second row. It has A/C in the rear. Third row available but inconvenient to access when you have two infant car seats locked in. If and when we need it, we usually have whoever sits back there load via the trunk. When the third row is not in use, you have incredible storage and it lies completely flat, making trunk diaper changes very easy. AWD. I average around 20 MPG but I also drive tons of steep hills and less interstate - not sure what the average typically is. Great turn radius, easy to drive and park. You would have to buy used as they don’t currently make them anymore but id give it a very high rating!

With all that being said, I wish I would have purchased a minivan.

@tdear25 We bought a Mitsubishi Outlander. It has a pull up third row, that allows you to expand the car to 7 seats if you need to. However if you use the third row then you loose the trunk space. Worked great for fitting two infant car seats in the back seat. My partner is 6’1 and he can drive comfortably.

Back