Stupid question - calorie intake

kns87111

Probably a stupid question but I don’t know what the answer is.

I know that a calorie deficit results in weight loss, simply as that.

But, take the example of during pregnancy and post partum - eating 3,000 calories a day (no idea what I’ve been consumed, this is just a round number I’m using for argument’s sake) and gaining weight.

Then post partum, I drop to 2,500 c/d. Assume a calorie deficit would be 2,000 or less.

Would I continue to gain weight, but at a rate slower than if I was consuming 3,000 calories per day? Or would my body not be able to sustain its current weight at 2,500 calories and therefore begin losing a bit of weight? Or do I need to consume less than 2,000 calories per day to see weight loss of any kind?

I’m breastfeeding and am nervous about dropping calories too much and affecting my supply. I don’t know how supply, exercise, and calorie intake work together.

Thanks!

@kns87111 A way to gage it to a better extent is to google “calorie calculator” and place in your details, it’ll tell you how much you should need to lose weight and at what speed, in saying that you’re breastfeeding and it won’t be accurate, I think we’re meant to be eating 500cals or so more when bf.

You don’t want to drop too many calories or diet too much as you’ll end up feeling like crap and it could affect your milk. So do this slowly and see how you feel as you go and I would honestly just shave off 100-200 cals every fortnight until you’re at a happy point and can see if you’re losing weight. I wouldn’t drop your calories down too far and would be cautious of it

@kns87111 Yes, you would continue to gain.

You'd need to consume fewer calories than you're burning to lose weight. If you are losing at the 2500 level, it means you were burning 2500 calories/day. If your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2000, you'd need to consume less than that to lose. Other things like hormones, cortisol, food composition, hydration do factor in, but that is the basic math.

You could be very cautious and start by tracking for a few weeks and seeing how much you consume every day without losing weight - that's a rough estimate of your TDEE. You can then drop a few hundred calories and see if it affects your supply, similar to what Pomelo suggested.

@kns87111 Because calorie deficits do not always equal weight loss if there’s other stuff going on/ which is usually the case when postpartum. That’s old old science. Hormone balance, cortisol levels, thyroids, and more all play a big part in the ability or inability to lose weight. Yet we punish ourselves with this old adage of “eat less, lose weight”.

Back