SIUGR baby

@eb3 Ours were under 1% the whole pregnancy. They're 3.5 now and still so skinny they fit in 18m pants, but incredibly happy, healthy, smart girls. They just can't put on weight no matter what we try.

@eb3 We had DC/DA twins and twin A was always in the first percentile. We went through all the motions. We now have two beautiful girls who are doing very well. We gave birth at 32 weeks. Twin A was born 662grams and baby B 1.5kg.

Turned out twin a had placenta insufficiency.

There is hope. The girls are now 5 months. 3 months corrected. They’re smiling and laughing.

I really hope things work out for you. I will say a prayer for you and your babies. All the best.

@eb3 Just adding to the long term hope for you.

I had B/G twins at 31 weeks. Girl was 3# 3 oz and went straight to the nursery (no need for NICU). Boy was 3# 10oz and needed 1 week of respiratory support (BiPAP)

She stayed at -5%ile for height and weight, is now 19 y/o, 5'2" and 100# which tracks with the women in our family.

Boy was 25%ile weight and 95%ile height and is 5'11" and normal build which is much taller than the men in the family.

BOTH are healthy, happy, vibrant young adults who love their college lives.

@eb3 What kind of twins do you have? Mine were di/di and identical; each had a different cord situation: Baby A had a v-cord insertion and Baby B had one in and one out, instead of two in and one out.

Baby B was under 10% every time they measured (20 weeks onwards). I had 4+ appointments per week to check cord flow, NST, growth scans etc. It was dizzying. They over-measured baby B; at 36+3 they were born 4 lbs and 6 lbs. I did not think they would both make it until both girls were home with us.

Twins are full of shenanigans. I wanted to be prepared for any outcome, and to know that I had done my part, but the Universe or whatever had its own contributions to make as well. Drink some water, have a nice portion of protein, get some sleep and take a sick day from work tomorrow to maybe go for a walk, the four of you, to reconnect with your values? Or some other activity that tends to bring you joy and clarity? How can you learn on your values and each other while navigating these waters?

Do you trust your care team? If not can you get a second opinion? I live in the U.S. and in my city, the midwives seem to have the best recommendations around finding experienced OBs and MFMs.

I've been through some things so far in this life and am probably more adventurous than your average bear. But the twin pregnancy--it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. Hands down. I salute you in this moment of uncertainty!

@raaven They are Modi.

I’m just struggling with so many feelings. If I go through with the RFA I feel like I’m murdering my kid. If I don’t do it I’m knowingly putting a perfectly healthy baby at risk. It’s an impossible choice.

I’m seeing a neonatologist and another MFM at the local Children’s hospital tomorrow so I guess we will see what they have to say

Back