Should I let my kids walk home by themselves ?

@mrscott1026 I’m not sure if this will help or not, but this is my own personal experience. I grew up in a very safe small town. I walked home from school everyday, which was about a fifteen to twenty minute walk. There was a day where I was followed by a white van (cliche, I know. But true) which attempted to take me. I’m very lucky to have gotten away safely. Just something to know… it’s not always the worst thing to be on the safe side.

@mrscott1026 Here they start walking at 7. Also a safe area.

9 is more than old enough. I would walk home at 9 on the days my mom was sick or something I can't remember by now. And it was MUCH MUCH farther and in a non-safe country/city.

I think it will be fine, specially if they are together.

@mrscott1026 My mom forgot to pick me up from school once when I was 5 and I walked a mile home by myself. I was terrified and cried for the rest of the day. Thinking back on that, anyone could have stopped their car and pulled me inside. Kids who are that small can’t defend themselves. I think it’s irresponsible to allow a small child to go anywhere alone. There are registered sex offenders living all around, even in “safe” neighborhoods.

@mrscott1026 I think that's a fine age to start. My kids used to cross over and meet me instead of me going through the car line everyday. We did it together at first and then they did it themselves.
Now they are in middle school and all much farther! I think you should try it out and see how it goes

@mrscott1026 I appreciate independence and safe city’s but I’m in the no camp - maybe I’m crazy?
There are people who pay attention to patterns and routines.
It’s super easy to get comfortable in routines and not pay attention to surroundings.

I don’t want anyone realizing that my kid(s) is(are) alone at specific times each day 🤷🏻‍♀️

@mrscott1026 We do. Our son has been walking/biking himself to and from school by himself since 2nd grade. Now, as often as I can, I walk or bike with him because it's fun, but I have no qualms with him walking half a mile.

@mrscott1026 I walked about 800m to and from school from my second day in primary school onward.

Almost everyone did. Having your parents bring you was a sign of still being a baby.

So yeah, let them walk!

@mrscott1026 I would let them, but as others have stated there is no right or wrong answer. I think of myself as somewhere in the middle too, but maybe leaning towards “free range”. (Though by “free range” I just mean how I grew up, lol.)

If it were me, I would start small. The school is only 0.3 mile away, so it’s already very close, but maybe start meeting them halfway. Just wait for them on a bench or wherever, around the halfway mark, to let them get used to finding each other and making their way. Then move to waiting for them outside, on the doorstep, so you can still watch them approach. Just build up to it.

@mrscott1026 I’m sure safe areas still have pedos and people that could possibly kidnap my child. I don’t think I could allow it until they are at-least in middle school. Especially because I had a stranger stop me and try to get me to get into his car as a 5th grader and we were on a military base.

@mrscott1026 I would say yes but have some line if communication available. I remember the first time my mum let me ride my bike to school, I was in year 4(UK) but that day social services kept me behind and didn't tell mum (they might've but she's a drunk) and I remember how she looked when finally getting to the school (gone 5pm when it finished at 3) and it was pure terror at the thought something had happened to me, relief I was ok and then rage once she realised social services where taking me off her for good.

But that whole situation could've been avoided if I could have had a way to contact her

@mrscott1026 Thinking back to my age of 7 and 9 along with my current risk tolerance. I'd probably go with 10 as the minimum and assess their maturity.

That said, 1/3 mile isn't that far so as long as there are sidewalks in a safe area, and especially if other kids are walking, I'd likely be ok.

@mrscott1026 No. Where I live you have to worry both about kidnappers and about Karen’s who call CPS at the drop of a hat.

We had a new family in town in 2019 who were very vocal (to the point of being annoying) about their kids being “free range”. I understand the authorities got involved - I had to give an statement myself - and they moved out within 6 months.