Running so much slower!

@sherithorb Yeah, this was my experience almost immediately. My pace plummeted and my heart rate just immediately went into overdrive. I’ve been able to run a little but have largely transitioned to my peloton for cardio. I miss it terribly but it just hasn’t felt good to me.

@sherithorb Yep - Im 28 weeks tomorrow and it can be VERY drastic. Last week I did a 4 mile run no problem. Saturday I tried running and ended up walking. I foresee more and more walks

Fwiw a belly band helps starting week 20 ish and knowing WHEN to workout helps. Ive realized my body needs to workout earlier in the day (I have a toddler). If I wait until after my toddler goes down my belly / pelvis are already too tired from just the basic weight of carrying my baby now. But even moving it up to like 3 PM (I wfh) helps some

Also as for pace - what has helped me stay running - is realizing that the MPH really cuts down in the second trimester. I went from 7.5 MPH to 6.0 MPH. Then around 25 weeks I was doing 5.5 MPH. Now Im still around 5.5-5.2 MPH.

When I dip into like 4.5 (lol oh man I cant even fathom how laborious that will feel though) I will switch to walking (which a typical walk pace for me is 4.1-4.2 - but pregnancy my "fast" is 3.5 and average is 3.2 MPH if that helps

@sherithorb I’m the same, I’ve slowed down loads, my trainer has started putting in run/walks so I still feel like I’m getting out and doing something. I’m nearly 16 weeks.

@sherithorb Not running, but I am 6 1/2 weeks and my tennis game is SO much slower. I have played singles for years and play 5x a week and I am noticing how much slower, heavier, clunkier I feel. My heart rate gets much higher much faster too. You’re not alone! I’m praying to feel like me again in a couple weeks! Hope you do as well!

@sherithorb 100% normal. I got really winded right from the start, when there was certainly no belly yet compressing my lungs, and the nausea made it so much more uncomfortable, too ... I lost at least a minute of my mile time right away. It was really frustrating, because my runs were and are essential to my mental health.

In the second trimester, I got pelvic and round ligament pain even on the slowest of jogs, I felt the extra weight with every step, and so gave up running around 20 weeks. I just walk now (at a snail pace), and even that hurts. 3-4 miles is the most I can manage, and it takes forever. It's awful, it's frustrating, I'm already planning out the program I'll do postpartum to get back to running ... But this is temporary. I'm doing what little I can and trying to get over it.

@jshollinger 100% I run for my mental health too. I don’t feel the same with my runs being so tough. Running used to make me feel strong. It is reassuring to know so many others are experiencing this.

@sherithorb You are not alone! I'm 15 weeks now but my pace has been slow since I got a positive test. I'm only running about 30-40 mpw so not at your level, but I've kept the mileage up the whole time... just a lot slower. The past 2 weeks or so my pace has gotten a bit better as the exhaustion went down but then I got hit with insomnia so we're back to turtle vibes.

For distance, I'm also a marathoner, and have been okay doing a long run up to about 14/15 miles as long as I take it slow and bring gels, but it takes me longer to recover. I bailed on my marathon plans because I couldn't recover fast enough on the longer long runs closer to 18/20 miles, and will only be doing halfs (until my body says no more).

@sherithorb I'm still pretty early but I'm right there with you. I'm 7w5d and primarily a trail runner. Still putting in around 25mpw but I'm really dogging the hills on my longer weekend runs. I figure I'll keep at it until it's not enjoyable anymore but for now even a slower run makes me feel happy and like a hero.

@sherithorb Early pregnancy was arguably the hardest for me, mostly because there was just a significant adjustment to a new pace and level of effort to achieve old easy paces. Personally, I chose to stick with running throughout my pregnancies but I really leaned into whatever felt good- I slowed down a TON and did a lot of interval running/walking. At first I really struggled with the change, but then at some point I just accepted and appreciated that this is a unique stage of my life where absolutely anything I do is an accomplishment. Such a change from constantly chasing better paces and performance. It felt like a beautiful break from my normal competitive mindset.

That being said, I’m a firm believer that running while pregnant only makes sense if you enjoy it. I just don’t think you’re doing it for performance or long-term gains because you can’t avoid the period of inactivity after the baby is born. I know plenty of women who basically didn’t run at all during their pregnancies and came back strong and fast. And then there’s people (like me!) who ran throughout their pregnancies and came back strong and fast. So if you enjoy it- find a way to lean into that. If you don’t- take a hiatus! The great thing about running is that it’ll always be there waiting for you when you’re ready

@viro8999 Thank you! I think I’ll keep with it, but need to stop pushing myself into running at a pace that makes me uncomfortable. Run/walks sound nice right now.

@sherithorb I used to run 1 or 2 times a week as a part of my exercise routine, 3-4 miles. Now I’m doing a 5k a week but I have to take sooooo many walking breaks to let me HR come down… despite going at a pace that is almost a full mph slower. Not that I was ever all that fast. But the HR skyrocketing happened almost immediately after my positive test and I just don’t feel comfortable pushing myself any more than I am. Part of me is proud of myself for keeping up with my routine through the first tri ick - 15 weeks now and feeling better. The other part of me is judging myself for my pace, which is unfair.

Any run, walk or exercise, if it feels good, is better than sitting on the couch.

@sherithorb I was able to do marathon training and was on course to do a marathon at week 12, but I was going to be at least an hour slower than usual. Pulled out with bronchitis in the end. From about week 16 running would feel exhausting unless I ate lots of food beforehand. If I did then I could run about 10k at around my usual slow run pace. I started getting bad pelvic cramps about two hours after running after week 20 (during was fine) and that was when I cut right down.

@sherithorb It is very normal for your running paces to slow down during pregnancy, even as early as first trimester. Your body is working hard to grow a human, so workouts are going to feel harder. I ran up until 25 weeks and then I had bad pelvic pain and it was no longer enjoyable. I am now 37 weeks and for the past 12 weeks have been cycling and swimming.

Something that helped me was to switch my running workouts to rate of exertion or heart rate rather than pace. I tried to make it a fun game, "what can I do with a baby in my stomach?" rather than "let's try to reach my pre-pregnancy paces." Also, as my coach explained to me, your body gets the benefit of the workout regardless of pace. The body only knows effort, not minutes per mile.

@sherithorb Tl;dr - be patient with yourself and listen to your body!

Congratulations for Boston - that’s incredible!! Yes to this re pace (minus the Boston), I ran through 6-7 months with my first. My last run was 11 min miles and I was like, “I’m running but this is a walk? What?” and then my arthritis in my knee took over postpartum and I’m still working on getting my surrounding muscles strong enough. You’ll get back to it, especially being a trained long distance athlete you know to keep up with your strengthening. It’s okay to pivot. This time won’t last forever.

Also, don’t push it postpartum - the waiting totally sucks but I think I went back too much too soon and injured myself. The hormone letdown in the first few months is so bizarre and then once you stop nursing (if you do) lengthens the recovery time - at least it did for me. I truly wish I would’ve waited, I’m so jealous when I see moms out there with their strollers, and my dog is getting chunky too lol.

Back