Running so much slower!

sherithorb

I’m 14 weeks pregnant and running had gotten so much less enjoyable for me. Prior to getting pregnant, I was running 6-7 days a week close to 75 mpw. I used to have no trouble running long distance and qualified for Boston twice.

Recently, I haven’t been able to run faster than a 9:30 pace. Pre-pregnancy, on easy days it was enjoyable for me to run slow and just go on an easy run. Now I am sucking wind at my easy pace.

I’m also maxing out at like 5 miles per run these days.

It’s making me anxious because my running is so important to me. Is this normal? Have others experienced this?

@sherithorb Yep had to stop around 20 weeks because the pelvic pressure. I transitioned to rucking after that and then just regular walking. It's all signs pregnancy is progressing!

@sherithorb My normal pace went from 9 minute miles to 11.5 minute miles, which is about my former walking speed lol. I tell myself that as long as I'm lacing up and getting outside and doing something to maintain a routine, that's enough. Also incorporating weightlifting to force myself to keep my glutes active is important to me and helps balance the short runs.also, don't forget that the baby is literally sucking oxygen from your bloodstream so you're not getting as much for your muscles to from each breath.

@autumn1123 SAME! It is mentally tough because I am also scared to push myself the way I normally would (if I wasn’t pregnant). I am 26 weeks and just happy to still be running, so I have finally accepted the slow pace.

@sherithorb I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy and had to really cut down mileage around week 12 due to nausea and fatigue. I still went out for short slow runs (3-4 miles at 9:30) until about week 28 when I had to stop due to pelvic pressure as well. I transitioned to incline walking on the treadmill for a while, but had to back that down as well (now at 35 weeks). It was hard to cut back and I miss running, but I realized it was important to listen to my body telling me slow down.

@patib I have a dumb question: what does pelvic pressure feel like? Is it just pressure on the pelvic floor? I think I have felt it after running too. It’s odd, but not painful in anyway. Is it bad? Is it a reason to stop? I’m 15 weeks.

@girlonfire89 For me, I had the constant urge to pee while running (and it went from mild that I could ignore to painful) and then the pelvic pressure really started up a few hours after running. It felt like both my exit holes down there were very full/swollen and painful. Almost like I rode a bike for the first time in forever. It would last for about a day and ease up. To me, it was a reason to stop since I felt like it was my body’s way of saying to take it easy since it was a pain I’d never felt after running and my Dr. agreed.

@patib Thank you, I really appreciate you sharing, it gives me some perspective. Mine hasn’t been that intense yet, but it helps to hear an example of what to look for, although I know that it may look/feel different for each of us.

@sherithorb I read this study that said when you are pregnant your body is being pushed to the absolute max that it’s like running a marathon so yes, it makes complete sense that anything on top of that would be so draining. We sound v similar in running and BQ 2x. Prior to getting preg I had run 32 marathons. I ran very little during preg cause after years of heavy mileage decided to let it be a time to give my joints a rest and just did long walks and weights. However many of those walks felt harder than a long run pre preg. I suggest just giving urself grace and know you will get back to “normal.” I ran the nyc marathon 3 months PP and though I wouldn’t suggest that, was pleasantly surprised with how quickly I was running like I was pre preg.

@sherithorb Other piece of advice is once they are born, put them in the stroller from the start so they are just used to it and like it. My daughter did her naps in the stroller so I could get my miles in from day 1 till like 8 months and then started napping in her crib. 100% invest in a good stroller and one that can recline completely flat since they shouldn’t have any incline in the stroller until they can hold their heads up on their own. There’s so many baby things u don’t need or don’t need to waste $ on but 1000% spend the money on a good stroller or strollers.

@robingood This!!! Babies liking the stroller is a skill that has to be developed. Start ASAP! We love the Thule glide 2 (not urban glide, The fixed wheel has better stability)

@sara716 Yeah I have a mockingbird now that I remember too haha 🙈 but I swear they somehow all get used lol. I would 100% rather walk than drive so we put a lot of miles on those things.

@sherithorb I was going to post basically this. I cut down a lot in my 1st tri because of exhaustion and inability to eat much. I’m 14 weeks now, ran 9 miles last week and felt like the Tin Man. So slow and creaky. Where is my smooth faster stride gone?! I was running a solid 2-3 min per mile faster in December. I never thought I could feel like this before I’m even showing.

@sherithorb I am in the exact same boat! I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy. It surprised me how soon into pregnancy running became drastically more difficult for me! I’ll be 14 weeks later this week, and what used to be my “slow” pace is now my “fast” pace, and I find myself stopping every half mile or so to let my HR come down. Running is one of those activities that makes me feel like “me,” so I’m determined to stick with it as long as I can…but it’s definitely been a struggle and less enjoyable. I’ve been doing the stairstepper on days I don’t run, which has been helpful!

Back