Room temp tap water

godlovesme4real

Hi all,

Just found this sub. I got nervous tonight because a friend’s baby tested positive for lead – I realized that I have often made formula for my 7 month son using room temp tap water and now I am scared that I have inadvertently exposed him to lead (have since read that risk of lead is higher in hot tap water v. cold).

Should I be scared? I am kind of freaking out.

@godlovesme4real Lead can come from so many sources - it is possible their exposure wasn’t water (maybe some cheap drinking cup or toy), or they are on a well and you are on municipal water? Hot tap water isn’t great because it can sit in your water heater and then boiling it can concentrate heavy metals and other buildup.

Call your PCP tomorrow and ask about the town’s water. You can also call your town’s health department. My city issues a water report every year, so they should be able to give you some good info, let you know if you are in town/city or well water, etc.

@godlovesme4real I was worried about lead in our old pipes, too. You can buy test strips off Amazon and test for all sorts of stuff. That's what we did, and it came back clear, so that was good for my peace of mind. Also Pur filters make a specific filter for their pitchers that claims to filter out lead.