Returning to work

mishra

I am currently on maternity leave and at the stage where I am discussing my return to work with my managers.

Just as background, I have worked there full time for 4 years. I moved cities during covid-19 so I now live 2 hours away from my office. When planning to move I actually got a new job in the new city and when I tried to hand in my notice they wanted to keep me so said I could work from home most of the time, just coming into the office when required (approx 1 x month). Since then I have been promoted to a managerial role, prior to going on maternity leave I was attending the office once every other week.

I have requested to return on a part time basis which they have agreed to if I attend the office once a week. This will be expensive given my take home pay is lower and I will also have high childcare costs, so I feel this is slightly unfair. They have offered flexibility in the sense that on the days I attend the office I can do a shorter working day and make up the time at home on another day.

To be honest I’m aware they might not want me back and this is their way of getting rid of me. However I am a good worker, I think they just want me in the office more. I do understand it’s good to have managerial presence in the office. However the company has not enforced any home:eek:ffice working requirements to anyone and personally I much prefer working at home.

I’m conflicted on how to play this, I see my options as;
  1. Suck it up and do it. If I want another child then it makes sense to go back to the same job as the maternity leave benefits and entitlement might be better by staying put. I don’t really want to sacrifice time with my child but I realise most people do this as a means to an end.
  2. Be honest that this isn’t going to work for me and try to negotiate attending once every other week.
  3. Look for another job. I was tempted to get a job closer to home or fully remote anyway. I may just agree to what my current job are asking for, start looking for a job and hand notice in as late as possible.
Please let me know your thoughts and any advice.

@mishra Their proposal doesn’t sound unfair to me. You’re negotiating for less pay (by requesting a part-time commitment), and they’re asking to get something in return for agreeing to your request. I think if you want to stay there long-term, it’s sounds worth it to agree to the terms even if the math doesn’t math in the short term. And I agree with your final point that regardless, going back part time will help you get back into the swing of things and you can start looking for a new job that makes more sense for you & fam if you so choose.

@lcnd Thank you, I see your point but in return for working less I get paid less, I don’t think I owe them anything else because I’ve gone part-time. If you see what I mean.

@mishra If you take your career seriously and want to be a good manager with leadership potential then some face to face time will be an important element of your career life.

Think about career potential but more importantly your chance of closing the pay and retirement gap - your financial independence.

I think they were fairly flexible and it seems that they see your potential so going in once a month should be easy enough to organise

@mishra You can get daycare 1x or 2x a week pretty reasonably and I’d recommend it. Almost would recommend that over going part-time. It will allow you time for self-care that you don’t get otherwise. Manicure, haircut, grocery shopping, errands and is much easier without a baby.

It’s better for your career to show your face here and there. My office doesn’t really care that I’m in 8-5 as long as I’m there for key meetings.

If they aren’t enforcing in-office rules for other people and they do it to you, in my opinion that’s discrimination. We’re all at-will so there’s a risk you lose your job, but if you’re actually that good they won’t get rid of you over it.

Back