Predaddit: How to prepare for hiking with baby

yeseniax4

I see many different baby-packs that people wear... a lpicture feed can be seen here: Pack Pictures

What I wanted to ask is if any of you have recommendations on whether one pack is "better" front pack, back pack, the tower pack etc :)

Thanks!!

@yeseniax4 I have read that it's good to have wee ones in a front carrier, facing forward. Evidently it promotes their development, seeing and interacting with what you are seeing, as opposed to facing the rear.

I'm not sure what the target age window is for that stage, though, or whether or not it applies to a hiking environment.

@yeseniax4 for infants, the ergo has an insert, and the baby should be worn on the front, facing inward. Once they are a little older they can move to front facing. You really dont want to wear them on your back until they can sit up with no problems for extended periods.

I have heard some negative things about the bjorn and how it supports the child. The ergo, boba, and similar carriers seem to be better.

Mine is only 11 pounds right now, and I dont have a problem with the front carry method using an ergo. Might I suggest hiking poles or a staff? I really feel like a staff helps me stay upright with good posture when hiking with mine.

Be aware of the heat factor though...its like carrying a baked potato. and they get hot too.

@yeseniax4 I agree with everyone that when baby is little use an Ergo or Beco carrier. I asked my husband who works for REI in their backpacking/camping department said that Deuter is the best brand for baby once you get into one of the structured back packs like the ones in your picture. It will fit your child more comfortably and for longer than most of the other brands (Kelty, Osprey etc).

@yeseniax4 There are positives to both. Front carriers are the only option for the first few months. They are also more interactive, in that the kid is right there in front of you and you can see what he's doing and know when he's listening when you talk to him.

The backpack types are much more comfortable (especially when worn for longer periods) and usually have a pocket that allows you to skip on the diaper bag. The kid also rides higher up and can see more, which mine both preferred.

Get both. For the front carrier, the inexpensive Snugli brand is fine...no need to shell out for the higher end ones. For the backpack, check out sporting goods and outdoor stores and be prepared to pay upwards of $100. There are cheaper ones, but they don't have as many adjustment points and wont be as comfortable. Make sure it has a pocket for carrying stuff and a kickstand (that you can reach while it's on your back!) so that it can stand up on its own.

Back