Positive pregnancy test

@macwabana Insertion of an IUD can be extremely painful. That doesn’t mean it will be. I had a baby before I got my IUD and it was painful for me only on the second IUD insertion (I’ve had two). My friend who had not ever had a baby said her insertion was a breeze and really didn’t hurt at all. I am only mentioning this because some people say this makes a difference - I don’t really know if it does or not. What I really believe makes a difference in the pain you’ll experience is whether or not your uterus is tilted - this is what my doc told me. But, even then, the pain is so short that you will be just fine. Not saying you won’t have pain - there’s no guarantee there. But, the duration is quick and usually ends immediately. I did not have any spotting, bleeding, or cramping after either of my insertions. Once it was placed, I was happily on my way with no side effects.

Personally, I would rather have the 30 (or less, really) seconds of insertion pain than the delirious pain of a Plan C pill. Nobody wants to have an abortion and if you can avoid it, do so with either BC or always using a condom. And, I’d also rather have the 5-10 years of 99% efficacy peace of mind (depending on which IUD you get - not sure about the copper IUD as I have the Mirena) than to ever have to worry about me possibly getting pregnant again.

People are much more likely to report their IUD horror stories than their positive experiences and this really ends up scaring people away from an option that could have been very viable for you.

@macwabana I’m sorry you’re going through this! You will get through this and it will be a distant memory. In the meantime, take care of yourself and get some pain relievers on hand, whichever the doc recommends. :)

@macwabana Getting the iud hurt a little for a few hours and coming out was no pain. The pain from the IUD was nothing compared to the pains when I had to take the same medication as planned parenthood gives after my miscarriage.

@macwabana Not going to lie, it can hurt to go in. But it’s like 5 minutes of pain for 10 years of protection. For me IUDs have been totally worth it even with the insertion pain!
Also talk to planned parenthood when you’re there about your options - it may be that there’s other methods that are safe for you that they know of.

@macwabana Just sharing that I have a Mirena iud. I thought the pain would be a lot worse than it was. I took ibuprofen before my appointment and there was a second of pain when they put it in. I took the following day off work because of cramps. Just thought I'd share my experience 🙂 I went to planned parenthood for mine.

As far as the pain level it was bad for a second but not the worst pain I've felt...I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain...

@luizubel I got a Mirena IUD two days ago. I took ibuprofen before, and when they inserted it I felt soooo bad but only for like thirty seconds before it started to get better. Like five seconds of feeling like I was dying and then it was bearable. I felt like I was gonna pass out so I just chilled in there for like ten minutes to catch my breath (I pass out super easy). Anyway I got it put in and then went home for two hours and then went back to the hospital to work my twelve hour shift. The actual insertion was about what i expected but the cramping after really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be

@macwabana You don’t have to get an IUD or birth control either. Tracking your cycle to know when you are most fertile and being extra careful/having less sex during those times and condoms EVERY TIME is very effective. Plan B if there is a concern the condom broke (ask your partner to make sure when they remove it that everything looks in tact) and then be careful to watch out for your period even after plan B. I am 26 and married, only use condoms due to issues with hormonal birth control and IUD horror stories, and I’ve only ever had one scare with a condom.

@katrina2017 I have no idea either. My aunt did it that way all her life and never had children or needed an abortion. I’ve never had an issue either. Idk why I need to put something inside me or take pills that fuck my cycle and hormones up in order to be safe. I dont. But a lot of people don’t like natural methods even though women have been preventing pregnancy with condoms and tracking their cycle for many many years

@tomheadrick People think FAM/NFP involves pulling out and praying while vaguely relying on your estimated date of ovulation. They’re clueless about what it actually involves so they’ll downvote you if you promote it. It’s a very legitimate method that plenty of women use very successfully to avoid pregnancy.

@trey61 They had me take health class freshman year of highschool I assume most people start becoming active around then, but for me it wasn't until I was 20. Plus they definitely didn't teach about what to do, what the options were if you did end up getting pregnant. We were taught about birth control pills and condoms but didn't go into detail. Didn't talk about other options such as IUD. Didn't teach us that some lubes can rip the condom or that having yeast infection can do the same. Also we weren't taught NOT to have sex with a yeast infection, or even what a yeast infection is! Didn't teach us about how to properly care for and track our cycles. I had to learn about the four phases of a woman's cycle from YouTube last year, then I taught my friend. Health class just isn't enough in the states.

@macwabana not everyone has a painful experience. friend of mine had one just around the time you did and said it wasn bad AT all. she said it was like normal period cramps with just a lot more blood than usual. i hope everything works out for you! xx

@macwabana If you're already pregnant, it's too late for Plan B. Plan B is to be taken ASAP after unprotected sex to try to stop the egg from being fertilized. If you're already 2-7 weeks pregnant, Plan B is not for you. Plan B is not an abortion drug. It will not terminate an existing pregnancy. Plan B is also NOT a form of birth control. If you don't want to get pregnant, you need to use a solid form of birth control or just avoid having sex. Good luck finding a solution that works for you. Hopefully you will be more responsible in the future.