Position of baby after side-lying breast feed?

mm30

Hi there, I’m new to this subreddit but very glad I found it! I have a 5 week old baby who can last in their bassinet until about 4/5am and then usually Cosleeps with me after that.

I’ve caught myself falling asleep whilst feeding in the C curl position. Is it safe for the baby to fall asleep on their side whilst feeding? Or should they ALWAYS be on their back?

Thanks in advance!

@mm30 I’m not sure I have the correct answer but just thought I’d say that my baby almost always laid on her side as a newborn. I would lay in the c-curl, she would lay facing me at boob level and that always worked fine for us. I was/am a very light sleeper since co sleeping so it may also depend on how you sleep too.

@jakoblaj Yep same here. Mine is 3m and we’ve been doing this all night, every night, since birth. I just make sure there are no blankets anywhere near us, and pillow far from him. I keep the blankets down at my hip level

@mm30 As far as I know baby should be repositioned to on their back until they can get themselves in a different position. So it’s fine to leave them on their side or belly if they rolled there themselves, but if you positioned them differently you should place them back on their backs.

Back