Plus size pregnancy

@thundergirl96 I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with healthcare providers during my pregnancy and delivery, even with the laundry list of complications I developed (severe nausea, gestational diabetes, hypertension, preeclampsia). The only time my ObG mentioned a concern about my weight was during my first trimester when I lost 15 lbs from not being able to keep anything down, once I was medicated and started slowly gaining it wasn’t mentioned again until my last appointment when I had gained nearly 10lbs of water weight in under 2 weeks.

@thundergirl96 I’m 5’8” and 295. Any mention of my weight has been strictly factual and professional if that makes sense. My OB did mention “elevated BMI” as one of the risk factors that he recommended I take aspirin as preeclampsia prevention, and any of my ultrasound reports done abdominally cite “study limited by maternal body habitus” which is obviously just to legally cover them that it is harder to scan an obese woman than a thin one. But I’ve had GD both my pregnancies, and the diabetic team has been really good about it too this pregnancy. They don’t try to blame why I ended up with the diagnosis, just that it is present and what we are doing to manage it. My first pregnancy I seen a different doctor because it was early in COVID and the diabetic team wasn’t working because they were redeployed elsewhere and he was shitty about insisting I must have had type 2 preexisting even though I had bloodwork done that ruled out type 2, and passed my PP glucose tolerance. This time, the doctor on the diabetic team has been more supportive. My GP and OB are both good about it and only bring up weight when it’s a medically relevant point.

@thundergirl96 Just be prepared that it might come up, because obesity does have its own risks and management in pregnancy (ie: recommending aspirin for preeclampsia prevention, early GD testing) but my providers have always just stated it as a fact the same way they would say that I have asthma or depression. Tbh more of it has been attributed to me having PCOS than my weight alone - there was a much higher focus on my blood sugar with the PCOS diagnosis (I didn’t know I had it last pregnancy) than there was on my weight alone.

@thundergirl96 My OB has spoken about my weight multiple times— 5’5” 251lbs, 31wks. My weight was 256 when I got pregnant, ended up losing about 17lb during the first trimester, then gained it back slowly starting in the second trimester. At my first appointment, they warned me that if I gained too much weight (BMI went over 44 I think?) I would need to go to a different hospital. I live in a rural area so it’s over an hour away.

I’ve been told about the complications of obesity in pregnancy at nearly every visit. My 32 wk appt will be with an anesthesiologist to discuss increased risk of c-section, and to make sure they’ll be comfortable placing an epidural, and also to evaluate my airway incase I need to be put under anesthesia.

It’s fucking annoying. I’m fat. I get it. I know there could be more issues, but we’re here, right? I posted not too long ago about passing my glucose test, which I’m pretty sure the provider thought would be positive…

I totally understand where you’re coming from, and if I had other options in a hospital setting, I would choose them. I hope you do find a good provider, I know there’s a lot of them out there, but know that even if you don’t, you will make it through. Stay active. Eat well. I wish you an uncomplicated pregnancy!

@dr3w This is awful😥 I’m hoping I get a good one, but no one should be treat differently due to weight when it’s such an exciting time. But congratulations xx

Back