Plus size bump-friendly coats?

7caldwell

Any suggestions for where to look for an inexpensive coat to get me through this winter? I’m currently 23 weeks and live in the northeast, so I definitely need to get something more bump-friendly so I can continue going on walks and spending time outside as I get bigger through the winter!

My usual winter coat is a puffer from Lands End that zips from the bottom, so I don’t think I’d be able to zip it up over the bump and I’d be too cold just leaving it open.

So far I’ve looked online at Old Navy, JCPenney, ASOS, Modcloth and Torrid. Torrid has some fit and flare options that would probably work for me, but even on sale they’re still $100 (which is more than I’d like to ideally spend on something for one season) so I’m seeing if there are other options before investing.

I’m curious is anyone else is in this predicament and has any suggestions! I will probably try going in person to places like Burlington coat factory and TJ Maxx, though I’m keeping my expectations tempered about them having many plus options.

@7caldwell You could potentially find a coat extender? They zip onto your existing coat.
I got lucky and got a used maternity jacket in a bundle of clothes off Facebook so no advice on where to get a full coat currently.

@brileemoot 😮 I didn’t know such a thing existed! Looks like it might be about as expensive as buying a whole new coat but I’ll keep digging to see if I can find a cheaper or used one!

@7caldwell Looked at seraphine coats a million times, but hesitated. I love my winter coat from last year, and also wanted something I could fit my baby under after he was here.

I found an extender on Amazon, and it’s worked great. I’m not sure if we can post links, but the name of the extender is “MakeMyBellyFit Universal Jacket Extender for Maternity and Babywearing”.

@cpaste I’m feeling ambitiously crafty and may try getting some fleece and zippers from JoAnn Fabrics and making my own coat extender! How hard can it be (famous last words lol)

@7caldwell Saw this on Old Navy: https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=805303002&tid=onma000014

I just got this one in a 2x and it is very oversized even with my 39w bump. It’s very warm and lightweight, and the most affordable winter coat i’ve ever bought. I wished I sized down to a 1x but I’m too lazy to return it and reorder. I’m just going with the optimistic thought that I’ll just keep the oversized 2x for when I’m carrying baby in the carrier and can have it over both of us. And let’s be real, at this point, I don’t care about looking like I’m in a walking sleeping bag if it means I’m warm and not inconvenienced haha.

@muchmorethanthis Ooh interesting I saw that one yesterday but since it looks very straight up and down I figured it also wouldn’t zip over a bump! I’ll give it a try if I can find it in store in my size (all sold out online at the moment but hopefully they restock 🤞🏼)

@7caldwell I went to a thrift store and picked up a 4x sized old navy men's puffer coat for $20. There's honestly no point trying to look cute at this stage unless you are willing to spend $$$!

@7caldwell I ordered a jacket extender for mine. I live where it regularly gets down to -40 and colder during the winter so I take my coats seriously, and investing a ton of money in something I’ll only wear one maybe two winters tops isn’t my favourite idea.

@giftedone It’s been warm enough that I’ve been wearing my lands end fall jacket and it’s been loose fitting enough to work. Though 3 weeks ago I was wearing it and saying “wow there’s still so much room in this jacket!” and now it barely zips 😅 bump is growing faster than I realized!

@7caldwell I live in Minnesota and plan on buying a “make my belly fit” jacket extender. It’s not cheap, but I think it will definitely be worth it, as I’m due in February. The extender also works for baby wearing, so I think it will get a lot of use, and my partner and I can both use it to baby wear!

@7caldwell Do you have a Sierra by you? I was able to find a 3x coat (I’m normally an xl) for $100. It’s a north face puffer. They’re owned by TJ max so of course it’s hit or miss, but they had a couple options.

Back