Philips Avent Bottle Warmer - SO FRUSTRATED!!

@michaelmutseyekwa Where is that information? I've found a few studies stating the contrary:

"The effect of microwave heating on vitamins B1 and E, and linoleic and linolenic acids, and immunoglobulins in human milk - PubMed" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8889628/

"Microwave Heating of Infant Formula: A Dilemma Resolved | American Academy of Pediatrics" https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/90/3/412

"The novel technique of microwave heating of infant formulas and human milk with direct temperature monitoring - PubMed" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28685536/

@michaelmutseyekwa Nice, thank you!

These are recommendations for breast milk. The studies I posted all refer to infant formula, so while it might be true that it destroys nutrients in breast milk, it doesn't seem to be the case for formula.

That's a nice little positive side of formula feeding , I guess? (Let me have this one, I still feel a tad guilty about not be able to breastfeed)

@crystal_rose We had the avent bottle warmer too and LO turned about 6 months old we bought the baby breeza instant warmer and it was so much better. I wished we had bought it as soon as baby was born. Definitely recommend makes bottles in seconds and is only around $50.

@qoheleth1 Interesting! I will check it out! I need a reliable method as my daughter is exclusively formula fed. I know it's very much a first world problems, but I'm not waiting 10+ minutes for a bottle. Thanks for the suggestion!

@crystal_rose Our baby was formula fed as well. This was so easy and quick. The only downside was that it dripped water out occasionally but we had it on kitchen counter and it wasn't a big deal for us. Hope it works for you!

@crystal_rose I think it is just crap. We let the sink water heat up to scolding first and then add that water to it. I hate how sometimes it will heat up in a few min and other times it takes forever.

@pero I can't deal with how unpredictable it is. It literally has ONE job to do and I can't trust it to do it properly... That simply doesn't work for me.

@crystal_rose We have a newborn and have had the same experience with the Philips avent bottle. The registry won’t allow a return so I can’t wait to office space this thing. Philips must be paying companies for the reviews because it’s not at all reliable or consistent and anything but fast. Great tip in prior comments about filling a small mug from a keurig and using it. We had a 5 oz bottle that went through two cycles with avent set to 11oz and was 77 degree. Put it in a mug from keurig and it was low 90s in less than a minute. For anyone evaluating potential warmers I would stay away from this one.

@crystal_rose Do you use silcone bottles? My daycare uses the avent warmers and they said they were so glad my baby drinks cold milk because she uses comotomos and milk never heats up in them using thier bottle warmers.

@crystal_rose Thanks for the warning. I've been thinking about bottle warmers.

Here's the point of view of an engineer: without a microwave, you can warm a bottle faster by either using hotter water or speeding up temperature equalization.

Hotter water adds the risk of overheating. Equalization can be accelerated by shaking or spinning the bottle. Are there any bottle warmers that do this?

@cul8rw841t Not sure. I doubt there are any that shake or spin the bottle though.

My sister in law had one that operated by steam. She'd put just a bit of water in the bottom, and boy did that thing work well! It was an older model though, and I don't think they sell them anymore.

So my suggestion would be... Find a steam one. Or use the microwave like I ended up doing (before being gifted a baby Brezza, which is truly a game changer).

FWIW, I looked into why microwaves are discouraged when it comes to bottles. The only thing worthwhile I found was that it creates hotspots. Nothing about plastics leaking into the contents, nothing about breaking down formula or breastmilk. So if you know how to use a microwave, then that's easiest option...