Period cramps

@euxene I use a red light therapy device with the NIR mode over my lower abdomen or lower back. I have a lumebox. One 12 minute session helps tremendously for 3-4 hours. I just repeat it as often as needed.
Leefy turmeric/ginger supplements and magnesium help me as well.

@euxene rosemary tea (with a small piece of mexican hot chocolate tablet tomake it more palatable) twice a day a few days before your period they say…I have endometriosis so mine are a bit above that and never did much for me, but it should help for regular cramps.

@euxene Meloxicam is an NSAID like ibuprofen but easier on stomach. Prescription only. But try Naprosyn with plenty of food and water first, it's OTC and lasts longer than ibuprofen.

@euxene I am amazed at all the magnesium advice! I take 3 pills every night now but came about it from a different direction (bowel issues), but it makes sense now why I haven't had my old horrible cramps. I definitely think the bowel issues & cramps aggravated each other.

Just wanted to add that when I was dealing with "cramp attacks," as I'd call them, from IVF meds, I learned that I should stay away from a few things that are rough on the digestive tract: carbonation of any sort, popcorn, cruciferous vegetables, and of course junk food. Good luck.

@euxene I don't know how, but one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses a day has eliminated my debilitating menstrual cramps 🤷‍♀️

Just one I haven't seen mentioned yet that worked really well. Naproxen was also effective for me but I don't love taking that all the time. The other effective tactic I've found is exercise

@euxene I have endometriosis, the pain is real. If your heartburn is specific to ibuprofen and not all NSAIDs, Aleve (aka naproxen) was always much, much more effective for me. I think it is the first line NSAID for menstrual cramps medically. I've even been prescribed diclofenac and "a lot of aleve" still works better.

@euxene Another herbal remedy to try is Red Clover as a tea. I have used it a lot in the past very effectively.

It is a plant oestrogen so can balance hormone levels (if that is the cause of the pain). Don't take it if breastfeeding though as can muddle things up.

@euxene Ok, this is probably a little gross but it's worked for me. Before I had my LO my periods were relatively straightforward. Always on time, not much cramping, normal flow. After pregnancy and birth? It's a horror show! Days 1 and 2 are the worst for me for cramps. Some of them get contraction level. I saw one day on tiktok or YT or somewhere that eating cabbage will help with cramps? I decided to give it a try. First day of my next cycle we have a cabbage dinner. I had cramps as usual, but the next morning I had a...ahem...healthier than normal bowel movement. But after that practically no cramps! I've done that for 4 or 5 cycles now (of which none of them have started when they're supposed to) and every time it helps.

Back