Percentage of r/moderatelygranolamoms who work outside the home

@mnewlin3 It’s hard to answer this! We went remote last year due to financial strain, so mostly I work from home except for one or two days a week at my boss’s house when we meet as a staff. We were all partially furloughed as well to 4 days a week instead of five but we all still work five days a week because there’s too much work not to. 😞

@racheal02 Yep. And the board of directors is a bunch of old retired people who need to feel important and keep giving us more work to do when we are already busy so they can feel like they have legitimacy. Sometimes the nonprofit world sucks. But I have a ton of flexibility so I have stuck around for more than 9 years.

@mnewlin3 So…I’m currently on a 15 month parental leave but will be going back to my full time job as we rely on the benefits and I am the breadwinner. We are in the position to strongly consider my partner transitioning to part time work, though, as we acknowledge how difficult it will be with two full time professionals in the home (for us, leaving little time to spend with our daughter and doing things that matter).
It’s all about your priorities. I always prefer to simplify where I can but I know that’s not everyone’s idea of a priority.

I thought it'd be cool to see a x-section of this community. I'm constantly asking myself whether it's easier to be moderately granola (sustainable, eco-friendly, a conscentious consumer and steward of the planet) by spending my time at home or spending it in a professional setting. What's been your experience?

@mnewlin3 I commented above as well, but what makes it easier for us is a stay-at-home parent. I work full time and my husband is a SAHD. If we needed to use daycare or a relative, it would likely be slightly more difficult to do some of the things we do (starting cloth diapering next week, being a big one).

@mnewlin3 I worked full time outside the home when I joined/had my 1st, then quit to stay home when I had my 2nd two years later. So...both at some point?

@mnewlin3 I work full time and it’s hard to be moderately granola, especially sending my child to daycare where I have no control of their procedures. Plus in covid they have introduced more disposables at daycare. Also, my full time working partner is barely granola so if I’m exhausted, nothing is how I want it honestly unless it’s products we now use as standard for the house. For me, it would be easier if I were home but it’s not an option for my family right now.

Back