Ok what’s the right answer here? I’m sick of seeing so many conflicting things

aliwhit

I know many people just add formula to tap water but I’m going to add it to boiled and sterilized water (just my OCD choice) however, it seems like some people say you should add the powdered formula to water that’s at least 158 degrees F to sterilize the formula as well?

I ask because there is a kettle that will boil water and then cool to a set temperature so I’m debating whether to set that cooled temperature at 158 to add formula then cool the bottle down by running it under cold water or I can set the temp to 105 and add formula and feed it to baby right away.

Is sterilizing formula important?

@aliwhit From the US. I used room temperature distilled water to mix the formula and either served it right away or put the prepared pitcher in the fridge for 24h.

Once LO was 6mo, I started using the water straight from the fridge dispenser. Pediatrician said that was fine.

@aliwhit I’ve only seen sterilized formula recommended for premature babies or babies with immune system concerns. Doesn’t mean it’s bad or anything to do otherwise, just may not be necessary.

I’m also a stranger on the internet, ask your pediatrician if you want actual medical advice.

@aliwhit Given you use F, I'm jumping to a conclusion you're in the US like me. Official guidance does not warrant the sterilization of formula (158F) for full term babies over 2 months, they discuss the added risk for newborns, premature babies, and those with weakened immune systems. There is a risk of cronobacter in the formula powder.

Both methods you mention are perfectly fine. The 'most risk averse' method would be to boil water, cool to 158, add powder then cool to serve. It is truly just about your risk tolerance.

We use a formula pitcher, so we only make formula 1x a day and we use a kettle to boil the water, cool to 158 and add formula. Then it goes in the fridge for up to 24h and we just use a bottle warmer to warm the formula to serve during the day.

@aliwhit US is one of the few developed nation that doesn’t recommend to sterilize formula. If the formula companies don’t screw up, sure, it’s not necessary to sterilize.

@thof123 This, formula isn't sterile, it cannot be produced sterile. Cronobacter is killed at 70c (158f) I sometimes wonder if the formula shortage would have been less severe in the US if parents were advised to sterilise formula.

@aliwhit We batch prep and use the kettle you’re talking about to have the water be 158. I know it’s technically not necessary in the US but it gave me peace of mind in the beginning and is honestly not any harder than just using water directly from the tap, if you have a kettle that is temp controlled. If you’re neurotic like I am, the one extra very easy step is worth it!

@aliwhit Here I am hearing about sterilizing water for formula for the first time…….I’ve just been doing room temp spring water and he’s been fine. You can always ask your pediatrician on what they recommend since not all babies are the same.

@aliwhit Also from the US. We don’t boil/cool, we just use water straight from the tap. Our pediatrician actually recommended using tap water vs. bottled water. I saw a post about boiling and cooling water when I first joined this sub and I got extremely paranoid.

To echo what other people have said, check with your pediatrician if you are feeling conflicted!

@aliwhit If you're in the US you generally don't need to boil water and can use out of the tap.

That said, we run tap water through a Brita water filter from our fridge dispenser and still use an electric kettle because its not hard and why not. I've tested DFW tap water and there's a notable difference between, tap, fridge filtered dispenser and Brita filtered water.

I've seen plenty of people on this sub and others along with friends and family have no issues with tap water. So go that route unless you just want to add the extra steps.

@aliwhit We ALWAYS used room temp distilled water with our powder formula. Edit to add, we just started at 6mo using tap water through a brita filter

I think it’s really important to sterilize it if you have a baby who is higher risk (preemie or weakened immune systems) The Canada website says that you can use water that’s been boiled then cooled to room temp if you have a full term healthy baby

I think at the end of the day it’s what you feel comfortable doing and what works for your family.

@manga006 Got it. Yeah in the US it doesn’t say anything about sterilizing the formula but we use a European brand so that’s why I’m so confused on how to prepare it. I think boiling the water and letting it cool to the 105 F is perfectly safe. Our LO was full term and has had zero health issues so far!

@aliwhit The best thing for you to do is go on your government's website and look at their recommendation for handling formula. In Canada it is recommended to do that for premies, low birthweight babies under two months of age.

@aliwhit We use distilled water, boil it, add it to the powder to sterilize the powder, let it sit to cool just a bit and then put it in the fridge to use throughout the day. We do this usually twice daily. When on the go, the premixed is where it’s at. My baby is 7 weeks, but we will always use this method and use premixed on the go because I’m very cautious. ✌🏻

@aliwhit From day one I never sterilized the formula by boiling and slightly cooling the water. I just used the instructions on the can. I use distilled water, add it to the bottle, add scoops of formula, shake, and feed. But my baby wasn’t premature or anything. If she was or had any issues I would have sterilized it.