Off Grid Wool Suggestions

simply_amazing

Hello everyone šŸ‘‹ Iā€™m a FTM expecting in October. My husband and I live off grid, we get all our water through rain catchment and try to produce no/little waste, mostly because weā€™re out in the country without a garbage service.

Iā€™d love to do a mix of cloth diapering and EC with my first. Iā€™m trying to:
  • use natural materials (wool, cotton, etc)
  • have a lower maintenance system (no fancy folding)
  • not need a ton of waterā€¦ we can really only spare 1-5 gallons/day for clothes/diaper washing and I wash by handā€¦ no machine!
  • not spend a fortune
Iā€™ve been looking at wool covers (the shorts kind) and inners that look like diapers but with snaps (not sure what they are called).

Am I crazy to have these expectations? I know it wonā€™t be perfect but is this realistic?

What would you all recommend as far as types of cloth diapers, amount of covers and inners and sizes to get before birth, good prices brands (Iā€™ve just been looking at some on Etsy) and realistic expectations? Iā€™m also not adverse to using some compostable, disposable diapers for newborn stage and traveling if anyone has suggestions.

Would especially love to hear from anyone else off grid, first time diapering, or using CD with EC!

@simply_amazing What about something like those G diapers at least until you get more water? Theyā€™re like a reusable cover with compostable inner. I havenā€™t used them but my friend liked them fine

@kyleeak Oh fascinating! I didnā€™t even know those existedā€¦ I just looked them up and they definitely seem like a good backup and I feel like they would be really good for traveling too!

@simply_amazing Iā€™m going to be honest, I think this is going to be really, really difficult to achieve. Maybe not possible under these parameters. It sounds like water is the main limiting factor.

I hand washed (diaper) laundry for a while with my first, and it is DIFFICULT. And I had unlimited water. I donā€™t know your current setup, but I used a bucket and plunger system. You do diapers twice, always. So youā€™d need multiple gallons of clean hot soapy water for first wash, wring out. Dump the water (what do you do now with your waste? I would be avoid dumping untreated diaper wash water onto plants), add clean rinse water. Rinse. Wring out. Another round of hot soapy water and another rinse.

It just seems impossible to me to stay under your water limits. You have to be looking at bare minimum 3x4=12 gallons per load. And I never skimped on water when hand washing diapers, because to be honest I donā€™t think you get the same clean you get in a machine. So I would use more like 4-5 gallons per wash or rinse cycle. With clothes I would double up on the rinse water to save water, but for diaper laundry I think you really have to treat it pretty seriously to stay sanitary.

If you had more water, you could do it for sure! I would only do flats, and I know you want natural covers, but newborn poop goes everywhere. I would just get a few PUL covers, much much easier to wash!

The only way I can imagine this working with your water limits is if ECing really works for you and you catch most of the poops, then you could probably cheat a bit and maybe alternate a ā€œrealā€ diaper wash (two full cycles) with just one cycle for the next laundry day if you were only washing pee diapers.

Alternatively, if you can find a copy of that Carla Emery book Encyclopedia of Country Living, I believe she has a section about old school diaper laundry where you boil them. I donā€™t know if that saves you water, though?

Iā€™m sorry to be a downer! I think you can totally do it if you can find some extra water.

@rehem Thanks for your comment! šŸ˜… I donā€™t mind a reality checkā€¦ Doing a 12 gallon load every day would definitely be difficult for us since that is kind of our ā€œmaxā€ water usage each day including water for dishes and drinking, etc. I wonder if I got a little manual pump washer if that would clean them as well without using as much water šŸ¤” Good point about the PULs being easier to washā€¦ I didnā€™t think of that. We do have the possibility of getting city water but I donā€™t think it will be before the baby is born. Definitely lots to think about, I appreciate your insight!

@simply_amazing Iā€™ve been thinking about your situation more, have you ever used a Wonder Wash? One of those little hand powered drum machines?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C8HR9A/

This link makes it sound like youā€™d use much less water than with a bucket or tub system: https://www.simplygoodstuff.com/wonderwash-instructions.html

I wonder if this could work? Maybe worth looking around to see if anyone uses one of these for diapers. The drum is small, I donā€™t know if itā€™s too small for a load of diapers?

@rehem Yes this is exactly what I was looking into! Right now I just wash our clothes in the sink but Iā€™d definitely consider getting one if it meant CD would be feasibleā€¦ Iā€™ll definitely have to see if anyone has tried it.

@simply_amazing If you want to try it, I would get either flats (Green Mountain sells half size newborn flats) or flour sack towels (very cheap!) and a few newborn PUL covers (if you want to be very low cost, Alva Baby makes very affordable NB covers I liked) and try just pad folding the flat in the shell. Wrapping the diaper around baby with pins or a Snappi isnā€™t as intimidating as it seems, but pad folding is so easy. Literally fold into a rectangle that fits in the cover. Theoretically you can reuse covers for several changes if they donā€™t get poop on them, which is easier with a flat you pin on. But pad folding is so easy and if you get the cheapest version of things, you could just try it and see what you think, you know?

Wishing you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy!

@rehem Yeah for sure! Thanks for the recs šŸ˜ Iā€™ve already started watching the folding videos on GMD after everyone recommended themā€¦ Iā€™ll admit it doesnā€™t look as hard as I thought. I definitely think Iā€™ll order some flats and try it out šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø theyā€™re so cheap it canā€™t hurt

@rehem Hi, Iā€™m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the ("'The Laundry Alternative WonderWash Portable Mini Washing Machine'", 'The%20Laundry%20Alternative') and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Convenient for small living spaces (backed by 5 comments)
* Saves money on laundry expenses (backed by 5 comments)
* Effective at cleaning clothes (backed by 3 comments)

Users disliked:
* Unstable due to flimsy construction (backed by 1 comment)
* Not effective for heavily soiled garments (backed by 1 comment)
* Inefficient at removing water after washing (backed by 1 comment)

If you'd like to summon me to ask about a product, just make a post with its link and tag me, like in this example.

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a ā€œgood bot!ā€ reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.