Non deliberately brought a third language to my stepchild - how do I go from there?

charley18

Hello! Background: I have a 6 months old with my partner who also has a 4,5 year old. I have been in her life since she was 2 years old and we all live together full time. At home, we speak language A (community language) and language B (we are both native speakers and have been practicing and failing at OPOL in favour of the community language). Additionally, I am fluent in language C that my partner has been learning for about 1 year and knows basic phrases by now. The 4,5 year old is very stubborn and has a strong preference towards language A. I am planning OPOL with the baby in language C.

Couple of weeks ago, I bought some singing books in language C and the 4,5 year old has been obsessed with them and to my amusement can sing along - some songs with nearly perfect pronunciation. The question is what do I do now? We were focusing so much on bringing her on board with language B (also grandparents language) that we did not even attempt language C.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? How can I approach it the topic in a structured way? Is there a way, that down the road, both kids could have similar knowledge of the three languages? Or maybe see if the singing books remain in good graces for longer / try other age appropriate and fun ways to bring about the language (any suggestions)?

@charley18 Kids crave connection so seeing you speaking and focusing on language C with the new baby may be what got toddler on board. Definitely keep atvit with both and maybe involve the toddler even more in speaking with the baby in language C.

As you keep exposing the baby to language B as well the toddler may pick it up again. And if they don't that's also ok. It may be something they are more receptive than active on. As long as you keep the exposure going they will be in a good place in the future

@charley18 The way I see it, you have the perfect scenario for OPOL and teach the kids 3 languages. Your spouse would speak exclusively language B, you speak exclusively language C, and you don't worry about using language A at home because the kids will learn it regardless.

If your focus is only on teaching your older daughter language C, you could incorporate games (like flashcards) and more songs into your routine, as well as kids' movies or cartoons and if possible, find other people who also speak it. Speaking from experience, it's not easy but it's also not impossible. Good luck !

@charley18 Kids pick up phonetics very well before the age of 7. Anything before that age is really not for structured learning at all, kids are a) learning to set boundaries so a prone to reject structured tuition and b) will pick up things they really interested in over anything else.
I was exposed to 5 languages as a kid, and I had absolutely 0 issues understanding each, even without any tuition. I did reject the ones I had a hired tutor for (I was about 4) because it wasn't fun to me. This is now my first language, and i had no issues picking it up later in life.

You can learn and become fluent in a language at any point in life if you want to. The major issue is usually pronunciation, which is why introducing a language when they're young is so good. Just give them whatever is fun with a little language on side (like that singing book), try and test a few cartoons and see which one they like the most the change language to desired one. People overstress having to teach their children the language. It'll happen organically over time, if they're exposed to it plenty, they will pick it up. But they will get more exposure if that language is involved in their favorite activities and plays. You also can't really overload on languages, I don't think. It won't confuse their brains longterm, so I wouldn't worry about that :)

Back