No preschool?

@lizzieb90 My girls are only 6 months, but I do plan on starting 2 day a week half day preschool at 3 and 3 day a week half day preschool at four. Then maybe even jr kindergarten at 5 depending on how they do with the school structure. Their birthday makes it so they could either be the oldest or youngest in the class.

But anecdotally, I worked in an elementary school for multiple years pretty hands on with kindergartners. Not every kid is like this, but you can usually tell when a kid didn’t do preschool. Those first months of school are really challenging. Some recover but some will end up retaking kindergarten. Which at that age isn’t a big deal but could be frustrating for some.

These past few years have been rough for kindergartners because they should have been in preschool but couldn’t because of covid. Teachers had to spend way more time on routine and structure and had to push curriculum to the side. (K curriculum is a whole other can of worms).

Ultimately, you know your kids best! Be their advocate with whatever you choose and they will be fine.

@lizzieb90 I can completely relate to your frustration! I live in an area where everyone sends their kids to preschool by 18months-2 years old. My daughter will be turning 2 in March and we aren’t even considering preschool right now for the fall since she will still only be 2.5 and I don’t think it’s necessary. We also honestly can’t afford it even if we wanted to, but that’s my secondary reason for not sending her. Primary reason is that we plan on homeschooling long term, which we also don’t love discussing with people yet because I don’t want the judgement.

It really sucks that she’s now one of the oldest kids in our play group because every other kid above the age of 18 months is in school already. It makes me feel like the odd one out and it frustrates me that so many parents think it’s necessary at such a young age and pressure others to do the same. It’s my belief that if you’re really intentional with the activities your kid is in and make sure they have plenty of opportunities for socialization, they can still thrive at home without preschool. There are a million curriculums you can do from home with them too (Playing Preschool, Blossom & Root, etc) that can guide you. Then if you get them out to playgrounds, maybe an extracurricular activity (soccer, gymnastics, art, etc), library storytime, etc., they will have the opportunity to learn the skills of following directions, socializing with other kids, and interacting with other adults.

@katrina2017 I feel similarly, and same age child. One of the popular local preschools here offers a 2.5yr old class and I have been getting a lot of push back from other moms for thinking that isn’t what I want to do. I’m still not fully decided, but we do so much- storytimes, open gym, baby dance etc plus she has a 4yr old brother she plays with a ton (he started part time pre k at 3.5). Glad to hear of another parent in a similar boat!

@lizzieb90 I’m a SAHM and I put my kiddos in preschool around age 3. For me personally, I was happy to have some time to myself back, plus opportunity to really meal prep (I love to cook), clean the house and run errands. My kiddos are both really social and love going to preschool! Just play it by ear, but once kiddos are 2ish, it may be worth looking into places as a lot of good preschools have long waitlists. That way you have options.

The main benefit of preschool is the socialization. It can help get them ready for Kinder. Are there other ways to get that socialization though? Absolutely! You do what works for you and your family.

@lizzieb90 Why are they asking about preschool for a child less than 1? The earliest they start is 2.5 and they have to be potty trained. Otherwise it’s daycare. I know because I’ve been looking into a super part time options for my first next year but she won’t make the age cut off by only a month or two. So will wait another year because of that. I will send her though but only 2 half days to start off. If she likes it, we’ll up it to 3 half days the next year. Super part time preschool is much much more affordable than daycare. And now that I have a second who is 2 months old, I can see how at least a few hours a week would be beneficial for my oldest and also my youngest to have my full attention for a bit. But I don’t want to send her full time. Luckily there’s a lot of part time options. You could consider that. Or not. You don’t have to go to preschool. I never went to preschool. I will say though that I still remember having a rough transition into kindergarten so would like my kids to have just a little preschool experience.

And I hate those when are you going back to work comments. Like never? What business is that to people. Next time someone says that to me I’m going to just actually say never. I have 2 under 2 right now and if someone can’t see that’s more than a full time job I’m going to slap them.

@lizzieb90 Forget what your cousin says, she is the one that sounds silly. If you want your child home with you, keep her home with you. You don’t owe anyone any explanation, “no” is a complete reply. Two of my kids went to pre-school (k3) because it was free at the time and they wanted to. The others have been home with me until they started school.

I’ve stayed home with my kids and haven’t regretted it for a moment. If it’s the educational bit on your mind now, there are plenty of pre-k homeschool curriculums. I’ve used the good and the beautiful, but there are countless others. She would most likely learn more from being home with you than she would going to a preschool.

@lizzieb90 People often just want to make conversation, and I find the older generation don’t really know how to ask about someone’s thoughts, hopes, and plans. They’d rather just give advice and feel like that is sufficient as a conversation. I just enrolled my 2-year old in preschool starting in the fall. When he was younger, my MIL would often bring up how I should put him in a little school program, I’d get a break, he’d learn things, etc etc. Always telling me where her neighbors’ grandkids were going. Now that I’m ready and have enrolled him, she’s constantly bringing up “He’ll be sick all the time”, “He’ll bring things home”, “What’s the rush”. So just do what you want because people are going to tell you to do the opposite no matter what.

@seekinggracefully Everything about this is so accurate. In my family the elders definitely have a “nothing is ever good enough” mindset so it doesn’t really matter what I choose in the end, if all I’m worried about is judgement. I’ll have to start looking at the bigger picture eventually, meaning what’s best for my kid rather than worrying about what other people think of my decisions

Back