Nesting hard. House gutted. Now for nappies!

terrihoop

Completely new to cloth diapering, though as soon as I knew it was a thing I was in. Not very common here in Ireland, no one I know does it (although my own mum did try back when I was a babe), so no luck with getting a second hand stash, so I had to go all new, plus it cost a bit extra with all the shipping expense but anywhoo. Please let me know if I have the basics covered here.

Prefolds - Total: 39 (27 NB & 24 Infant, assuming I can double the one size for both stages)
  • (3) Grovia Newborn
  • (12) MuslinZ NB Size 1
  • (12) MuslinZ Infant Size 2
  • (12) Bambino Mio One Size
Flats - Total: 30
  • (5) Terry Squares
  • (25) MuslinZ Squares
Covers - Total: 7
  • (6) Smart Bottoms Covers
  • (1) RumparooZ Cover
AIO's - Total: 8
  • (5) Bamboo AIOs
  • (3) BumGenuis AIOs
Pocket Nappy - Total: 1
  • Littles and Blooms Hook & Loop Pocket
Liners - Total: 25
  • Fleece
    • (10) Little Lamb NB
    • (10) Little Lamb Infant
  • Hemp
    • (5) Hemp Babies Little Weeds Nappy Boosters
Cloth Wipes - Total 48
  • (48) MuslinZ Cotton Terry Wipes
Extras are 2 bamboo inserts, some snappis and a wet bag. I still need to get some detergent, a diaper pail and liners or a large wet bag, the RumparooZ one only holds approx 15 diapers. I'd love some input if I'm missing anything, or any suggestions to bump up my stash. Thank you kindly!

@terrihoop I'd recommend a few more wet bags for out and about! Also check out the Babi Pur Hangout FB group, it's mostly UK and Ireland and there's a lot of cloth nappy advice and advice-givers in there!

@terrihoop I'm also in Ireland and have found a pretty active group on Facebook for secondhand cloth if you decide to add more or want different sizes/styles in the future. It's called Pre Loved Cloth Nappies (Ireland) FSOT.

@maxx55 I only use 4 in total. I do laundry every 2-3 days and we use 1-2 cover per day. Change it in the morning and then if needed.

Love the secondhand little lamb. :)

@theologyofone We couldn't contain poop quite that well, if we only had 4 with no other options, we'd have to do laundry nearly every day! Despite improvements in getting prefolds to fit, we still rarely can get through four changes with only pee on the cover.

@theologyofone 4 covers! Im impressed. OP has nearly 70 diapers that would need a cover, thus my suggestion for just a few more. Certainly not required, I started with 6 and used only those for 8m. But I only had 24 diapers (prefolds).

@maxx55 Didn't realise I had that many! Also not sure as to how many covers I would need/based on normal use for a newborn. I could look into getting a couple more to add to the stash and was originally thinking of doing that anyway but wanted to see what people thought about it first.

@terrihoop I think 7 covers is probably fine, even with 70 diapers. You're not actually going to use all of the flats and prefolds between washes. Half of the prefolds aren't going to be used while you use the others due to size, and if you're pooping through 7 covers in two days you probably need to work on the fit of the actual diaper to contain the poop (jelly roll those newborn diapers!). If you want to be able to stretch your wash cycle to just wash twice a week and utilize more of the diapers between washes, 7 will be tight, but is likely possible. If I had this stash I'd just troubleshoot the fit when baby is here, and when I got down to three or two clean covers, the wash would need to go in. If that frequency turns out to be terribly inconvenient for you, it would be worth it to add a couple extra covers then.

Back