Neighbor’s child crying for hours in the early morning. Is this normal?

@michaelrh1325 Could you go in detail what you mean with "they don't let a 2 month old cry out"? Do you say because the kid crying off the top off his lungs (reason unknown to us) estimated to be 1-2 y/o could handle this if it was sleep training? Just trying to get some context. Thanks. (We also don't know if the kid is on his own while it cries for several hours, this is just an assumption we are making now).

@michaelrh1325 That's the internet for you. No I didn't - but I said there is a position and philosophy there where this is stated- I think it's called attachment parenting. The other conservative method is to raise kids by toughen them up and let them cry until they stop. People following attach parenting say the kid didn't learn to sleep on its own but it acquired a state of "learned helplessness" - have a read about this and you'll see a connection to this sleep training (eg
)

@katrina2017 Sleep training is only a prolonged problem with kids who were allowed to sleep in their parents' bed from day 1. We didn't do that with either of our kids, and their sleep training was incredibly smooth. I know lots of other couples who did the same thing. Same story. While anecdotal, I knew a couple dozen couples who never slept with their children, and all had similar experiences.

Word to future parents - do NOT let your kid sleep in the bed just because it's easier. Establish good bedtime routines during infancy. The dramatically help reduce any sleep issues the child may develop.

I do agree that letting a child cry for prolonged periods of time (especially for hours and days on end) can be detrimental, based on what we know of how stress hormones affect developing brains.

Back