NB vs 0-3 clothing size

@niederwaldflash Mine was 7-something pounds and right smack in the middle on all her percentiles. She was slightly smaller than we anticipated and was in NB sizes for a week or two, but we quickly preferred slightly looser clothes so they wouldn’t rub the umbilical stump too much. We bought 2 sets of NB onesies so had like 5-6 on hand but really only used 3-4 while interchanging 0-3 sized clothes as well.

If y’all can pop out to the store or order online after the baby is born, I’d just have a few NB things on hand but not worry about it too much.

@niederwaldflash Congratulations!

We had our 9lb baby in newborn for about 3 weeks! She did lose over 1lb at birth, but most people told us NB sizes wouldn’t fit her… but they did, with room. She grew out of them lengthwise before she did widthwise.

Different brands fit differently, babies have different body compositions/shapes, etc. Echoing others here - wait and see a bit closer to due date.

@niederwaldflash Everyone told us not to get NB clothes and then we had nothing to fit our son! My husband had to go to Target and get more clothes once we got home from the hospital, which isn’t ideal when you’re exhausted. I would have NB sleepers on hand, but don’t wash them so you can return them if you need to!

@niederwaldflash My 1st baby wore newborn for almost 2 months and my 2nd baby wore newborn for 2 weeks, it really just depends on your baby’s size and how quickly they grow. Keep some newborn things on hand and buy more after if you need

@niederwaldflash My babe was 8lb9oz and used newborn clothing for at least 3-4 weeks. I’d go ahead and get at least 10-15 nb onesies if you don’t want to be doing laundry that often. Maybe some zip jammies with footies and mittens. I’m in Tx also and we used those the most but he was born in December. If you keep your house cold (because TX in summer) then you might use those a lot too.

@niederwaldflash We bought only 0-3 and then had an emergency c section so got some prem merino body suits as well. We wore the prem bodysuits as the close to skin layer and then a 0-3 over top. Granted the sleeves were way too long but could just be folded up. We also had used pants and socks so had grow with me newborn to 2 months size which fit our prem baby, they were just up very high.

I think it’s way harder with one piece outfits this is why to this day I still prefer long sleeve bodysuit, grow with me pants and some socks. If it’s cold just add another top or bodysuit.

@niederwaldflash Mine was 7lb 14oz and over 90th percentile for length. She definitely needed newborn at first but she outgrew the sleepers by day 5 and the onesies stopped fitting a few days later. We bought our newborn stuff second hand other than a coming home outfit, then a cheap pack of new onesies after she was born.

@niederwaldflash My baby was 7 pounds 4 ounces and 0-3 month old clothes drowned in her. I was glad I grabbed a few newborn outfits at a thrift store once I got her estimate in weight prior to her birth. I had to order a few more during the few weeks. I definitely suggest a couple new born onesies and bottoms.

She is 7 weeks and sometime during 5 to 6 weeks her newborn clothes seem tight and
Not roomy anymore.

@niederwaldflash Found out at 36 weeks, he was around 5lbs and then induced at 37 and born at 5lbs.

Luckily, I had a bag of premie hand-me downs that he wore for a week and now he is in NB/ 0-3z.

My friend on the other hand birthed a 9lb so completely skipped NB.

Also each brand is different. Like carters NB Is larger than Gerber NB.

For planning, I recommend getting some sleepers but keep the tags so you can always return if not used. Target imo is great for that. I did that with unopened/unused diapers as well.

@niederwaldflash In my experience, all my friends and I utilized NB size onesies. But the length of time we used them for all varies based on the size of our babies. A friend’s 9-pounder only fit in NB stuff for 2 weeks. My 6lb 10oz babe wore hers for a couple of months. So it might be worth it having a couple NB onesies handy, and you can always buy more if you find there’s a lot of room to grow.

Back