My 14.5 month old was sleeping until 8/830 some days I even had to wake him up, suddenly it’s religiously 6:45 am wake up

@rtjmrt Girl slow your roll. Not everyone reads the same words the same way. You sometimes gotta translate boomer/millennial into your language and give them some grace.

@dragonfly34 Everyone wants to act like I’m over here whining about waking up earlier. Y’all! I’m already up! Bit from going from a happy clapping baby to an immediate crying mess! Like my god read!

@rtjmrt They aren’t being rude…they are giving you a truth you may not want to hear which is that sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control babies change their sleep and if nothing else works, acceptance may be the path forwards

@rdtemplet Yes, thanks.. you understood. Early cranky wakeups can mean any number of things but without knowing what OP has tried (like giving motrin/tylenol for teething or illness, schedule adjustments, etc) it’s hard to know the reason for it and it could simply just be out of their control and only time will tell. It can be totally developmentally appropriate too!

@rtjmrt My little one (now 13 months, problem solved around 12 months old) was always waking up around 5 and it usually took me over an hour to get him back to sleep, and of course he would only sleep for another 30-60 min then. Finally I had enough and I read up online. Apparently it's normal that they wake up at that time or early in general because everyone often wakes up then since they have slept a lot already. The difference is we know how to get back to sleep instinctively and often don't realize we woke up, they don't.

The advice I read was pretty simple: pretend to still be asleep for at least a few minutes every time to signal to your little one that it's still bed time. Them talking, complaining and even crying (only a little with breaks in-between, NOT full on meltdown) is actually them trying to figure out how to fall back asleep on their own. Don't interfere and really let them do their thing.

In our case my little one has a floor bed so I was sure this wouldn't work because we would simply crawl out. I tried it anyways, he did crawl out but fell asleep on the carpet in front on the first morning, took around 30 min. During that time he talked, cried very little, was quiet again and repeat until he fell asleep. Second morning same thing. Third morning no more crawling out and ever since then he falls back asleep by himself in bed, usually only takes a few minutes now. It really was this easy, I couldn't believe it :D

Maybe this approach isn't for everyone but it tremendously helped us so maybe it's worth a try. Nice side effect: he sleeps much calmer the rest of the night too because he can fall back asleep by himself.

@marrissa We’ve tried giving him a few minutes but he’s in a different room than us so it’s hard to show him. He had a little regression around 12 months but now it’s wild! We’re thinking of getting him a floor bed soon! How does he like it!

@rtjmrt I saw in one of your responses that he’s still on 2 naps. IMO it’s time to drop the 2nd nap. At that exact age my kid’s 2-1 nap transition suuuuucked and it took about 4-6 weeks for things to “normalize” but it was worth the pain in the end.

Definitely head to r/sleeptrain for suggestions but if you REALLY want them to stay asleep until 8am, I think you should (ultimately) work towards a 1-3:30 nap with bedtime closer to 9ish.

@rabbitdude It definitely has been hard to try to do the transition, we were able to keep him up until 115 today. And I don’t mind if he wakes up at 6:30 or seven, I just worry about the fact that it was so abrupt and it went from happy to hysterically crying with no adjustment I’ll definitely post in there because this is not working in here. I have had some great responses though, so thank you everybody that responded kindly.