Mom shamed for formula feeding

@dpasek Nothing said it could not be done, an obstacle =/= impossible, it simply means it has some degree of difficulty; you need to weigh the difficulty vs the reward.

@mikailao20 One thing that drives me crazy is that the statistics that suggest children have a higher IQ are all very poorly done studies. I got this from a really great article that delves into it:

“In reality, the causal link is much more tenuous. We can see this by looking carefully at a number of studies that compare children who were breastfed to their siblings who were not. These studies tend to find no relationship between breastfeeding and IQ. The children who were nursed did no better on IQ tests than their siblings who were not.

This conclusion differs fundamentally from the studies without sibling comparisons. One very nice study gives us an answer to why. The key to this study is that the authors analyze the same sample of kids in a bunch of different ways. First, they compare children who are breastfed with those who are not with a few simple controls. When they do this, they find large differences in child IQ between the breastfed kids and those who are not. In the second phase, they add an adjustment for the mother’s IQ, and find that the effect of breastfeeding is much smaller—much of the effect attributed to breastfeeding in the first analysis was due to differences in the mothers’ IQs—but does still persist.

But then the authors do a third analysis where they compare siblings—children born to the same mother—one of whom was breastfed and one who was not. This is valuable because it takes into account all the differences between the moms, not just their performance on one IQ test. In this analysis, researchers see that breastfeeding doesn’t have a significant impact on IQ. This suggests that it is something about the mother (or the parents in general), not anything about breast milk, that is driving the breastfeeding effect in the first analysis.”

@dpasek Over years... what you're saying is there is no economic, parental, social, or any other factors played into it. It was simply breastfed versus formula...

They fed formula kids, and then they breastfed kids for one year. Stuck them in a time chamber got them out in 8 years and checked the IQs?

Studies between siblings show no discernible difference in IQs. This is important because social, economic, parental, etc... factors should all be relatively close to the same.

They are also studies that show on-demand feeding versus scheduled feeding increased IQs...

@rlb I’m saying that was one of the criteria. And the sibling studies are garbage. Technically a lot of research is garbage but it’s what we have. Research shows the infants that are formula fed also have less white matter in their brains. You don’t need control factors for that. Their brains don’t develop like they would have with human milk. Formula contains plant based DHA, which is nothing like the DHA that’s in human milk. You really think consuming algae is going to grow your brain normally?

@dpasek Considering people (myself included) for years have been EFF , and almost the entire generations of 70,80 babies were (If you could afford) I'm not really seeing huge issues out of large sections of the population.

And that was well before they were adding anything like DHA to formulas.

@rlb It just means there would be less gifted/geniuses level intelligence. Who knows. I was formula fed and have two bachelors degrees working on a Masters/PhD 🤷🏻‍♀️

@dpasek It’s not as simple as formula vs. breastmilk. Economic, social, and genetic factors play a huge role and are rarely considered in these studies.

@mikailao20 The “breast is best” thing kicked off a whole generation of women with PPD. She’s an ignorant, judgmental jerk.

My husband and I were both formula fed, gifted children, who now have successful careers in IT. We turned out fine.

@mikailao20 I have two older boys, both formula fed from day 1. Both rarely catch colds or get sick. This was true from a very early age! First son is academically brilliant, skipped a grade, and is about to skip another. He is 12 next week and has what he calls a "ten year plan" to go through med school. Second son is 7, brilliant in math, wildly creative, but struggles with language/speech. Even still, that has more to do with genetics and an injury during a traumatic birth...not anything to do with formula.

No need to feel guilty!