Lowering food costs

@laken22 Sure! I don’t really measure when I cook and keep in mind I am cooking for 7, so adjust as needed. Pour about 3/4 of a 1/2 gallon of unsweetened coconut milk into a giant frying pan. Mine is 2.5” deep and 15” across. Put on low heat. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar (more if you have a sweet tooth), 1-2 tsp salt. Taste this to make sure it’s balanced. Then add curry paste. Mae Ploy Green curry is my favorite, and one container will last 5-7 meals. I usually add about 2 tbsp, more if the crowd isn’t toddlers. Taste. It is spicy but the coconut milk mellows it. Once you get your sauce just right for you by adjusting sugar, salt, and paste, toss in some veggies and a protein. I like it with zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots...even avocado. And meat or tofu or eggs work as a protein. Once the protein is cooked through and the veggies are steamed-like (fine but obviously cooked) it is ready. I like to serve it over rice.

@richie1027 You're amazing! We just went to the farmer's market recently and had a lot of fun. I haven't really made it a habit to go, but I will now because I realized that seasonal stuff there is so cheap and you get more/better than the grocery store.

We've talked about doing vegetarian days. The kids will eat beans no problem and my husband is picky but usually does okay with legumes as long as they are cooked into a dish. I'll eat a bowl of beans. I don't care. haha Usually we don't think about it unless we're doing burrito bowls, so I think I need to find some more recipes.

How are you doing with finding supplies for canning/jarring/baking? I've seen some baking supplies coming back in stock, but I've heard jars, lids, and other ingredients are hard to find in most places right now. I know my neighborhood Facebook group is scrounging for them.

@clh72481 Here is my favorite recipe for special occasions.

Ravioli Soup, feeds 7-15 people with refills too!

Ingredients: 2 pounds ground Italian sausage, garlic, onion, olive oil, kale, milk or heavy crème (optional), a bag of frozen ravioli of your choice.

Put oil into a large stewpot (sorry, I never measure. I just do a couple zigzags across the bottom.) Bring it to temp and put in one handful of garlic cloves, chop them if you want to, and a diced onion. Use red onion for sweeter, and white for more bite, or powder if you don’t have fresh. It’s really ok either way. This is a super laid-back recipe. Throw in a half a teaspoon or so of salt, and another half of pepper. Once that’s all nice and the spices have bloomed, put in your sausage. Brown it. If you want more “sausage” flavor, use some fennel and some sage, but it’ll be ok on its own, too. Then, fill the pot with water. Let it simmer for an afternoon. This makes a really nice broth. The original recipe called for a bay leaf, but I never use them because I forget to take them out and someone inevitably eats it. Anyway, go about your day. When it is time for dinner, toss in the ravioli, cream, and a bag of frozen kale. Let this boil for 5 min or so while you set the table and get everyone gathered. Once everyone stops picking their nose, or fighting, or finishing up their round on their online game… it’s ready! I usually serve with red pepper flakes, because I like it spicy. But to each their own. Also, you can use potato instead of ravioli, I guess… but ravioli is usually a crowd favorite. I spend about $6 on the meat, $1 on the kale, and $2.50 on the ravioli bag. So, that’s about $10 to feed a very large crowd. I serve this when we have other company over and I need to really stretch it, and inevitably people go nuts and want the recipe or beg me to make it for them. So there you go!

@clh72481 I don’t can, but am going to learn to. I only order Bertolli pasta sauce (I’m not a shill) because it comes in a really good reusable jar like a mason jar. I do my ferments in those.

@richie1027 Can I ask what types of things you makes with legumes? Not something we use much here, usually only in something like chili...which I would not want to eat all the time lol

Also, how are you making bread? Do you have a bread maker or do you just use a pan in the oven?

@cantgetright Legumes are big here. Let me send you some of my favorite recipe names for you to look up.

Cuban black beans
Charro beans
Pinto beans with bacon
Refried beans (a staple here. We always have it.)
Garbanzo beans can be roasted for snacks, or made into hummus.
I sometimes get lazy and just throw a few handfuls of mixed beans into a crockpot overnight with lots of salt and cumin.
There’s more. But that’s a good starting place.

@cantgetright Pan in the oven. It’s super simple. Mix the dough, kneed 5 min. Let it sit. Kneed again. Turn on oven and when it’s ready pop it in. It’s maybe 15 min of actual work.