Kyleena IUD Insertion Experience

whois1230

Okay y'all. Super long post ahead, but hopefully helpful for those looking for answers and commonalities.

I had previously been on the birth control pills (the combination estrogen + progestin; called Sprintec) for around 4 years, but recently started noticing high blood pressure. Not super high, we are talking 130ish/90ish. Because of this, my OB/GYN said that it would be best to change my birth control to one that does not have estrogen in it, since estrogen usually can increase blood pressure. So my non-estrogen options were as follows: the Depo-shot, the implant, the IUD, and the progestin-only pills (commonly called mini-pills).

When I set up my consultation appointment to talk with her about my options, I went in knowing the Depo-shot and implant were out for me (I have a phobia of needles and have heard too many negative things about the implant). I was 50/50 on the pills and IUD. The mini-pills are super strict: you have to take them at the exact same time every day. If you even miss the pill by 3 hours, you have to go ahead and take the next pill because you are already running the risk of potential pregnancy. For a grad student like me who has 8000 things on her plate, this was not my best option. So I opted for the IUD.

Now, I know me. And I know I get in my head, over-analyze, and over-think everything. So when I decided at the consultation that I wanted to do the IUD, I asked if they could go ahead and insert it that day so I wouldn't have to go home and think about my decision and then panic-search what IUD insertions are like. (Ignorance is bliss sometimes, right?) Well, that didn't happen. I had to wait an entire 7 days before the insertion date.

Fast forward to today. It is insertion day. Yes, I spent 7 days thinking about it. Yes, I asked friends who had IUDs to tell me their experience. Yes, I checked reddit and multiple other websites, reading review after review of what the experience is like. And as expected, yes, I was in panic going into this insertion procedure (yay anxiety).

I was on my period the day of the consultation, but NOT on my period today for the insertion. I had voiced this concern to my OB/GYN at the consultation and she said that it can be inserted any time, and she has done many insertions to patients not on a period.

I was very nervous throughout the entire appointment. I had taken 800mg of ibuprofen an hour before the appointment time, as per the doctor's recommendation to help with cramping. No other medication, numbing, or cervix-opening things given. My OB/GYN was super sweet and tried her best to talk calmly and tell me each step, which I greatly appreciated. So here is how the procedure itself went:

She inserted the speculum and it went just fine, like any other PAP speculum insertion. No problems here, these don't bother me at all. Then she put what she called "cleansing soap" on my cervix - which was this brown liquid to help clean before they get to the insertion of the IUD through my cervix and into my uterus. This also did not hurt at all - I barely even felt it. It's just a long q-tip with the liquid on it, so it didn't hurt. Now the next step is where the pain began. She then had a tool that was to hold my cervix open and that I would feel a "pinch." YES YOU FEEL THE PINCH. It was not a comfortable pinch either. Now, she explicitly told me that my cervix was "extremely tight," so that is probably why it hurt me more than some others. I have never given birth or ever had a pregnancy, so we are talking newbie to cervix openings (besides monthly periods). This pain made me gasp and then go "ow ow ow" softly under my breath.

She then inserted a new tool to measure the depth of my uterus. This was uncomfortable because this was a tool actually going through my open cervix and into my uterus, instead of the pain from the tool holding my cervix open. This resulted in more loud "ow ow ow's" at a talking level. This is where I was beginning the really uncomfortable stage where I was ready for the process to be done, but still was "tolerating" it. She finished measuring and then pulled the measuring tool back out, and this hurt too (because it's coming out of my uterus/cervix now). At this point, my OB/GYN could tell I was uncomfortable and not enjoying this, and asked me if I wanted a break. I could not verbally tell her yes or no because I was too focused on saying "ow ow ow" to say anything else. She told me to just take deep breaths and wiggle my toes. And let me tell you, take deep breaths and wiggle your toes!!! It definitely helped me. It didn't take the pain away necessarily, but it did help keep me more calm and less panicky (which I was already panicky the second I walked into the appointment).

The IUD insertion did not feel much different than the feeling of the tool used to measure the depth of my uterus. It was painful in the sense that it's different than what people say is a "really intense period cramp" - it's more of a pain that feels deep inside your uterus that's a mix between a sharp pain and a "cramp." (Take the word "cramp" lightly because it did not feel like a period cramp at all to me. It feels like it's in a different spot in your body, so it's a different sensation). At this point, I was beyond ready for it to be over. I am going "OW OW OW OW" in a wimpy voice with lots of deep mouth breathing (which itself was not fun because #covid and wearing a mask while trying to deep breathe). But the second she pulled the tool out that had the IUD on it (because the IUD is now in place in my uterus), the pain almost immediately subsided. I didn't feel the sharp intense cramp feeling anymore. I was glad it was done. She then clipped the strings that stick out of your cervix and into your vagina, which I could not feel at all. Then it was completely over.

She let me lay on the table for as long as I wanted to calm down and make sure that I felt okay. I laid there for 5 minutes just because she told me to and I felt totally normal. Then I sat up for 1 minute to make sure change in motion didn't affect me, which it did not. I did have some bleeding during the insertion because I was not on my period at the time, and I have continued to have some light bleeding/spotting since the procedure (it has currently been 6 hours since that happened - still going strong). I also have had a continual light/soft cramp since I left the appointment, like a traditional normal period cramp that is 100% tolerable and can ignore it if I don't think about it.

I walked out of the appointment, drove 40 minutes home by myself, and just finished sitting through a 3-hour graduate school class on Zoom (again, #covid). I never felt lightheaded or felt like I was going to pass out.

So here's to hoping all you others out there with anxiety and constant researching IUDs come across this post (and manage to read it all - sorry that I'm a lengthy talker), in hopes it gives you some honest insight. The pain was definitely uncomfortable, but tolerable (not that you really have a choice once they get going). The procedure took maybe 3 minutes from start to finish, even though it feels much longer in the moment. But you can do this. Once it's in, you've got 5 years! So stop your searching, go lay down, and keep your appointment scheduled. You WILL survive.

Sincerely,

an anxious IUD newbie

@whois1230 I got mine done 2 weeks ago and THIS! I wouldn’t call that a pinch though.. more like a needle up in your vagina! I cried. And then apologized if I was being over dramatic 😅 there was a male nurse that was handing her the stuff. He stayed at the same level of my head. And afterwards, you could just tell he felt really bad for me. He said “do...do you want some water?🥺” LOL

@monorth40 I totally get it! It's so difficult to explain to those who have never felt the sensation before, but we do the best we can with what vocabulary we can haha. I had a couple of tears roll down my face when I got to the really painful section, but tbh I had gotten tearful before the procedure even began because I'm a nervous crier! Tried my best to hide that one from the doctor because I also did not want to appear dramatic (esp since it was before anything even began lol)

@whois1230 yes! this IUD insertion experience is exactly like mine :) definitely a different type of cramping and two to three sharp intense pains but then its over!

@whois1230 Thanks for the detailed write up! Glad yours was relatively pain free.

My honest insight:

I just had my first Mirena IUD removed and a second one inserted today. I don't remember the first insertion being a big deal despite reading horror stories. It was uncomfortable, sure, but relatively quick. The worst part was I did get lightheaded buying some advil and pads at the store afterwards and had some cramping.

Today, though, was completely different. The insertion was much, much more painful than I remembered. I had to remind myself to breathe and I was definitely holding back tears. Immediately after insertion, I almost fainted. They put cold wash clothes on my head and back of my neck, made me drink juice, and had me lie down for quite a while. The color drained out of my face. There was also quite a bit of blood on the table and myself to clean up afterward, which was difficult because I was very weak and still a bit faint/dizzy.

I don't know if this was due to the pain or what. Again, this was completely different than my first insertion experience.

It's several hours later and I'm keeping up on rotating advil/tylenol while laying in bed. It's not my first go around with an IUD and despite the above, it's worth it to me as I will have another 5 years where I won't be dealing with unbearable cramps and heavy periods.

Granted, I've never had a Kyleena, only a Mirena, but I wanted to share my experience - not to scare anyone - rather as a reminder that everyone's experience will be different. I'm glad yours was relatively quick and not incredibly pain-free! 5 years ago, I was singing the same tune as you. Today, I'm not...ha. Either way, I think it's important that women understand all the different possible scenarios of how insertion can go and the reaction they may have.

And for what it's worth, despite how...not fun...my procedure was today, i'll be getting a third one in 5 years if children aren't in my forecast. Worth it.

@katrina2017 Oh absolutely! Every person will experience this differently because every single human body is built and structured differently. Regardless, it is far from a painless process - just a different level of pain for each person.

I am so sorry you had such a rough experience this time around! I hope your pain subsides and things get better as time goes on. But glad to hear that even regardless of a rough experience, you still advocate for this method. It's nice to hear someone who has done this more than once for sure!

@whois1230 Thank you so much! I’ve been canceling and canceling appointments to discuss about having an iud and Pap smear done because I’m so anxious and scared, but this really helped! I’m not gonna lie, I still am a little nervous cause of the pain (but that’s just because I’m a baby lol) but you really did help calm my nerves a lot! :)

@tabi777 I hate to scare you further but at this point, I think it really depends on the doctor inserting the IUD. My first IUD insertion was smooth, I felt a big cramp and some pressure but it was over quickly. The second insertion seemed to take forever, I was in an unbearable amount of pain and my blood pressure dropped so low that I passed out. It made me never want to get an IUD again honestly. Reading about other people’s experiences though with the same IUDs I think it really depends on the doctor. Maybe ask a friend who had a good experience who she went to and see about going there.

@chadthehoser Yes absolutely! It is so important to have a doctor that is personable, kind, and gentle for this type of procedure. That's why it's so important to advocate for yourself and do the consultations prior to the procedure so you can meet them and talk to them. If you don't feel comfortable with them, see if you can find someone new.

Experience level I'm sure is also important for some people. I may have been lucky because the doctor who put my IUD in was actually a medical student resident, and the supervisor doctor came in and supervised the entire procedure. But the resident was the one who did everything. Every doctor is different for sure!

I'm so sorry you had such a poor experience with it, but glad you are okay now to be able to tell us your experience and give additional insight!

@tabi777 I 100% feel you! Paps are really not that bad - I know some people have some discomfort with it, but for the most part, it's so minor on the pain scale. My first pap made me really nervous too, but it was a breeze!

You can still be nervous!! I was nervous through the whole process! Lol. But know that you CAN do this and all of us who have done it before you will be here when you have questions!

Meeting with your doctor and doing the consultation to just talk about your anxieties and concerns is important. Let them know your concerns and advocate for yourself. And building that relationship with your doctor will be helpful in the long run because they will know come procedure day your concerns and can try to alleviate that (as long as they are kind and personable - which is also another reason to do the consultations to see if you feel comfortable with the doctor if you've never met them before!)

@whois1230 Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it, and you’re so nice :’). I’ll definitely make sure that I am comfortable with my doctor (especially cause I do get pretty anxious). If I have any further questions I’ll be sure to post something again :)

@sgtbrimcg36 Thank you! That was super sweet to read. I'm a lengthy writer (tried to not be by choice, but clearly I still am), but try my best to be informative and give true experiences. Good luck tomorrow! You can do this!

@spasibo_sasha Ahaa they actually rescheduled me to today so I literally just got it! It was not bad of a pain for me and it still feels like the tail end of a cramp.

YOU WILL BLEED A LOT SO HAVE A PAD READY!! I WAS NOT READY and now I have to drive an hour in bloody underwear

@whois1230 My insertion (Kyleena) was kind of painful, and my OBGYN said I have an unusually tight cervix also, and the internal os was in spasm. Despite all that it wasn’t so bad, I have a pretty high pain tolerance though I guess. However, the next couple days after that was some pretty wicked bad cramping (period-style), and then the first 2 periods I had after insertion have been way worse cramping than normal for me with like full body aches. Hopefully things improve

Back