It’s ok if your nursery isn’t finished or doesn’t exist

@sofie My first nursery should have been called a "diaper changing room", because that's the only thing we ever used it for. It only got some use when my daughter turned 18 months and started playing independently.

For my second baby, I'm just preparing a corner in my bedroom. A nice corner, that I will enjoy decorating and organizing, but that's it. I have a spare room that I could use but I don't see the point.

@granny2shoes I’m in the same boat. And then I even stopped using the nursery for diaper changes cause I was lazy and just started changing him on our bed. And also it’s kind of nice now to let my 2 year old decide what colour he wants his room to be and what “theme” or whatever he likes best (for the record it’s orange and so far it’s dinos but also any and all animals lol). Now I’m just straight up just sidecaring the crib to our bed to make my life easier and making that small corner of the room the baby corner of ~stuff~.

@granny2shoes I’m on a similar boat. First didn’t have a “nursery”, he had a diaper changing room (and occasionally bf spot). He’s now 2, and it’s a proper kid room.

For this one, we don’t have a room. We won’t even decorate a corner in our room - we made some space on the dresser (cleared the top so we can change the diapers, emptied a couple drawers), brought out the next2me and it’s done.

It’s all about being practical - with a toddler, pregnant, working full time just like the husband, we don’t care about cute/pretty anymore. Only livable, clean, safe, and most of all, practical.

@granny2shoes I feel this comment. I didn’t do a nursery for my second, and I have zero guilt. Whereas I felt absolutely terrible for wasting so much time, effort, and cash on the nursery for my first and we wound up hardly even using the room and its elaborate contents.

@granny2shoes I am a child of divorce who switched homes very regularly. I never super got into decorating my space thanks to this. It’s just not an intuitive impulse for me. Not feeling like you own your space or can make any lasting impression will do that. This comment makes me feel better since I haven’t had any particular desire to make a fancy themed nursery. I agree it’s more about what mom prefers which is fine. I have zero clue if I ever had a nursery as a baby and it never occurred to me to wonder.

@sofie Do they have somewhere to safe sleep? Do you have somewhere to feed? And do they have clothes and diapers?
That’s all they really need

I too like to see all the Pinterest level nurseries :) but thanks for the reminder

@sofie 21 weeks with our first and our house is in a complete Reno- we don’t even have a bedroom for ourselves technically 🤣 hoping to have at least that finished for us all to share by November!!

@1answer2 Oh gosh, same here. We bought a fixer-upper and found out I was pregnant 4 days after we closed. It’s an old house and has required a lot more work than we expected, so I haven’t been able to help much. Almost 8 months later it’s not done and we’re still in an overstuffed apartment that looks about like a storage unit. Hubby is trying hard to make at least one room come together for us but I told him it’s totally okay if we just have a bassinet at our apartment at first.

@73552 This is just like us. My husband (a carpenter by trade) turned his fathers basement into a 1 bed apt for us to live in while we build our house next door. We had been trying for 6 years to have a baby and finally had one! That worked great, bassinet in our bedroom, then co-sleeping, and it’s all a bit cramped but ultimately super cozy and cuddly for us. However, now we are expecting number two and the race is on to finish the house by the time the new baby comes at the end of the year. We would have been done by now but covid slowed everything down of course. The saving grace is that my husband is the builder. But yeah. Totally nothing wrong with not having a nursery. We aren’t even gonna have one in the new house. Our son will get his own room (likely with my husband to start) and the baby and I in our room with the 3 sided bassinet. I never plan to own a crib and I’m totally cool with that. But I also get the excitement of planning a nursery of course - I am super excited about planning my sons room (and honestly my whole house lol). Good luck with your reno project! Do you have any good interior design subs that you are in on here?

@1answer2 Trust me, every part of me should have had a gorgeous nursery to share, but we moved unexpectedly in the middle of my pregnancy, so all plans went out the window!

@1answer2 This is where we're at too lol. Thankfully our bedroom is mostly done and okay for a baby to be in, but the room I would like to use for a nursery has no walls, just subfloor, and the window is broken. I told my husband I just need the crib and stuff upstairs by December.

@sofie 36 weeks and we close on a new house on August 31st.

My nursery is full of junk because I pulled everything out of the closet, looked at it, sat down on the floor and cried.

@annaad0617 I hear you. For the longest time I couldn’t go into her room because it just was so much. My mother in law organized all her clothes while I was away at work one day and I cried because i needed the help so much.

@annaad0617 That's about where I was at 36 weeks. I don't think we finished until 38 weeks. Granted, we didn't need to paint. But the stuff and organization is overwhelming. 😅 I think my husband and I knocked it out in a weekend or two.

@termikile This is so encouraging because right now the baby’s room is just so full of crap that I can’t even begin to start cleaning it out. I’m not sure what I’m going to do but I wanted a bed in there

@sofie I'm 32 weeks pregnant ripping apart my guest bedroom trying to get the nursery together. I stepped away because I'm exhausted and covered in sweat. Pull up reddit and this is the first post i see and it just hit me in the feels. Thank you.

@antholmar Ahh man don’t you just love those moments? Glad it could help you! I get it. Last week I was spiraling about not eating enough dates, meditating or relaxing enough before labor….ironic.