Is walking good enough if I can’t run anymore?

sherithorb

I’m honestly probably just looking for reassurance. I’m 21w pregnant and have suddenly started getting a sharp pain in my right hip whenever I run. I’m so bummed about this becausee I pictured myself running throughout my whole pregnancy and I love running so much.

I can still walk fairly pain-free. And I’ve always felt like walking isn’t as good of exercise as running. I just returned from a 3mi walk with my dog and don’t feel the same as when I would return from a run.

Is walking still a good enough form of cardio during pregnancy? It’s important to me that I don’t totally lose my fitness and I’ve tried the elliptical and stationary bike, but it’s getting so nice out where I live that I’d rather be outside.

I’m considering going back to my PT for some help too.

Honestly, anything to make me feel better about this will help.

@sherithorb Walking is arguably a better form of exercise than running, but only do it if that pain isn't there. If you're in pain, stop. Hard disagree with the user that recommended ankle weights - you're already carrying a baby, and if there is discomfort in your hips already, please don't add more weights. Terrible recommendation.

If the walking is uncomfortable, try swimming or aquasize classes. Prenatal yoga might be good for you too. You want to go easy on your hips so that you don't cause injury.

Remember, it's okay to put exercise on the back burner if your body is saying no right now. This phase is temporary and short in the scope of your fitness journey, so don't stress! Sometimes the body just says no in pregnancy.

@tavares Thanks. I’m a FTM and have been so committed to running for years. It’s hard to allow myself to give myself a break unless others are telling me I should.

@sherithorb I totally get it. We are so much better at having empathy for our kids and other moms, but seem to throw the advice out the window when it's about looking after ourselves.

It's okay. I promise. I'm on my third kid - with my first I had to stop at like 20 something weeks because just standing gave insane swelling. With my second I was good until around 34 weeks before I had to slow down. Each pregnancy is different, but I've always been able to get my fitness back PP when I've had to stop for health reasons. You will too. You're doing great. 👍

@sherithorb So I’m a former All American college runner and I have kept it up until now - at 41 - pregnant with my first baby. A former teammate told me the dumbest thing she did during her pregnancy was force herself to keep running after she started to feel badly. She feels like it caused damage to her pelvic floor that didn’t occur with her second when she stuck to walking. That sounded uncool to me so I kept the same mileage and am walking 5+ miles a day. It takes forever but between that and the prenatal peleton rides and lifting my arms with light weights and eating cleanly - I feel fab.

@riet Yes!! Same thing happened to me. You DO NOT want to put so much pressure on your pelvic floor as your belly is growing and getting heavier. I was doing box jumps and high impact exercises.. running, even jump rope. You are setting yourself for incontinence postpartum and I even peed myself one time and could not hold it. Take it easy.

@bcjammerx I’m hearing this from more and more people as I have gotten into my second trimester and people look at me all worried “are you still running?” 😬It’s funny how until you’re visibility pregnant, people don’t come out with the scary warnings and stories. I’m sure there are people that are fine and had no issues that will undoubtedly pipe in - but it’s just not worth the risk to me. I probably need a break anyways 🤷🏼‍♀️

@sherithorb Yeah I mean - maybe it’s just bc I’ve literally been a runner all my life but - a little break isn’t going to kill me. I’ve had breaks before for injuries etc and you will come back from it with time :)

@sherithorb If it's any consolation, I was an avid runner before my first baby and was able to get into better shape after that pregnancy.

During that pregnancy, I pretty much stopped all hard exercise except walking ~1 mile towards the end. At 6 weeks postpartum I started doing alternating jogging/walking "runs". I was very careful to listen to my body and was back to the usual mileage and pace around 14-16 weeks postpartum.

@sherithorb You will inevitably need a break from running at some point since it's not recommended to run for at least 8-12 weeks postpartum. So now is a good time to find other types of movement you enjoy. I miss running but I don't miss it as much as I thought now that I have cycling and other things I like.

@sherithorb My last pregnancy I ran exclusively until 34 weeks and ended up injuring myself. This pregnancy I have been walking for 80% of my exercise and I honestly am in better shape than before. I'm 27 weeks. Pelvic floor is also doing better, I have zero hip pain, and My hunger drive isn't completely out of control. I try and walk 6-10 miles per day total, including moving around the house etc.

@sherithorb I’ve been slowly barred from my regular exercise routine as my pregnancy has gotten more complex. For a lifetime active person this has been devastating, for all the reasons. No more running, no hiking, no high intensity peloton workouts, no low intensity peloton workouts, no spinning the wheels to no resistance on the bike..

All I am cleared to do now is very modified prenatal yoga, and walking but not too far and not with my dogs. If I have one more bleed I’m looking at hospitalization, and that’s if I’m lucky and don’t end up in preterm labor at only 24 weeks.

I have no physical cues in my body that I’m doing too much. I feel marvelous physically at the moment. It’s so hard to tell myself to slow down my slowing down further. It feels counterintuitive. But you know what, walking a mile and yoga feel amazing right now.

So yeah, whatever your body is capable of doing is more than good enough.

@pianoz 100%. It's the easiest, most accessible exercise for almost everyone and it has so many health benefits.

If you want to switch it up a bit, try some walking videos on YouTube. Great for a rainy day, or just when you want more steps. Better than a treadmill because you have some directional movement to prevent any overuse of the same muscles. Jessica Smith has some great "express miles" if you want something a little more robust than a casual stroll, and she's got tons of low impact interval type walks too, great for getting your heart rate up, without having to do any real running!

@sherithorb Keep on walking - and maybe later in pregnancy when you’ve addressed the hip pain with a PT you might be able to walk/run or get back into running. I def recommend going to a PT to help you with the hip pain, even when pregnant there are ways to help you be pain free.
If you keep up with walking and movement then getting back to running even short stints will be easier in the future. I’m a big fan of not writing something off just because it doesn’t feel good NOW, pregnancy is so week by week that I’ve felt running come back around twice over the last 36 weeks.

@sherithorb Yes! Walk as much as you can! I walked almost daily until 39 weeks once I couldn’t run anymore (around 22-23 weeks). I always get better after a walk even if I was a little stiff beforehand.

@sherithorb I had to switch to walking at about 21 weeks and was back into running at 4 months pp. My fitness felt unchanged after the first couple of runs that I took easy, mostly just to check my joints were up to it.

Back