15 month old not walking

@galileesilk My daughter just started walking the last three days, and she's almost 16 months. We encouraged her to walk by holding her hand and encouraging her to do it independently. We asked our pediatrician because like many new parents, we were super nervous too about her not walking like all the other kids, and our pediatrician mentioned that they don't refer PT until 18 months. Go with you gut. Nothing wrong with PT, but totally normal for the age range.

Edit: Saw your comment below. Our girl was also born at 37 weeks.

@empower Thank you! our pediatrician said she was concerned mainly because he's not able to stand alone (without leaning on something), was your daughter standing alone early on or closer to when she started walking?

@galileesilk I’d say stop focusing on the big milestone and try to spot the smaller ones that lead up to walking. Maybe you see him kicking or bouncing? That’s him strengthening his leg muscles for walking. Maybe your see him doing lots of ‘upward dog’ type postures or energetically bashing with his arms? That’s him strengthening his core and back to prepare for walking.

Maybe he likes pulling up and bumpy back down again? That’s strengthening again and experimenting with balance. Or maybe he’s suddenly reaching across his body or interested in clapping/banging things together? All bilateral coordination skills that he will need for waking too.

@galileesilk Well this is exactly what your PT will be able to tell you.

My point was more to say, focus on observing and appreciating what he IS doing rather than focusing on what he’s NOT doing and you’ll be able to see the progress he’s making.

@galileesilk I follow milestones.and.motherhood on Instagram (she’s a pediatric PT in NYS). If you feel like you need/want to do activities before you see PT, she has some, and also lots of conversations about the range of “normal” milestones, mini stones, etc. She has a couple of highlights that might give you reassurance or tips (STAND, PULL>STAND). They’re located almost at the end of her highlights so you have to scroll a lot to the side to see them though. 😁 she also has a bunch of posts on cruising, mini stones, acitivities to encourage walking/standing, etc. I personally haven’t bought any of her courses or anything though), so I have no feedback on them.

@galileesilk we were referred to PT at 15 months also, she wasn’t independently standing or walking yet but would cruise. she refused to use all of the different walker toys. we had a few sessions of PT but honestly our daughter didn’t connect with the physical therapist, she wouldn’t let him touch her, and he wasn’t really able to help (this is not meant to discourage you— i still recommend trying PT to see if it can help!). the best thing about having PT come for us was piece of mind— he told us he didn’t see anything physically wrong and that he thought she would start walking soon. In any event she started walking 3 days shy of 19 months and hasn’t looked back, but it was stressful.

Back