Is this a stupid idea (running related Q)

mhbb2

Im 12 weeks pregnant w/baby 2! My other babe is about to turn 1 yr in a couple weeks.

Prior to my first pregnancy, I would run a couple times a week, 1-3 miles at a time. Occasionally would do 4-5 miles if I was consistent with running and pushing myself. Quit running altogether during 1st pregnancy bc I was afraid of miscarriages and pelvic floor issues.

After giving birth, the most I’ve run is 1 mile. Pathetic! I have been brisk stroller walking 2-3 miles a few times a week and keeping up with strength training though.

Basically, I really miss running and this fall weather is amazing. Would it be stupid to try to resume running again? It would be with my jogging stroller. I know I would have to start slow…my hamstring feels really tight too even with just walking. Am I headed for injury if I do this? I would really love to run an 8k with my co-workers in November if I could (I doubt I’d be fit enough by then but it’s a dream…)

@mhbb2 I would take advice from your doc! You’re not picking up running from scratch - you’ve done it before and are not like unable to even run for one min so I’m sure you could build up, but again, I would talk to your care provider for sure and build up carefully and slowly if they give you the go ahead.

@golden21 Second this. You're not a new runner, and in fact you are still running, even though the distance isn't far. I was in a similar spot with my first pregnancy. I has started training for a 15k but hadn't run more than 5k at the time I got pregnant. I trained the next few months and did the 15k at 22 weeks and felt fantastic. If you take it nice and slow, I'm sure your doctor would be ok with it.

@mhbb2 Fellow runner here and I wouldn’t recommend it. My doctor was pretty adamant no new forms of exercise or increase in training during pregnancy. That seems to be the common recommendation in this subreddit as well. Bet you could walk that 8k and still beat quite a few people!!

@mhbb2 I'd ask your doc, but assuming they're good with it, I don't see any harm in starting slow. Obviously, listen to your body, but running isn't a new activity to you and not insanely different than brisk walking.

Back