Is it sensible going back to part time work 2 weeks after a C-Section

pattimayo

I work fully remote at home, part time (20 hours) a week on a freelance basis as an Admin Assistant. Does it make sense if I just tell my workplace I just need complete time off for 2 weeks, then I’ll be checking in emails by the 3rd-4th week and maybe working 10 hours before resuming full-time (i.e. 20 hours) work after a month?

I like my job because it gives me flexibility since I have 1 kid in Kindergarten at home. I’ll be having baby #2 in seven weeks. Has anybody done this kind of quick back to work turnaround before with a second child? I have my husband who also works at home and my mother staying over to help me for at least 2 months post birth as well.

EDIT: Thank you all for your comments. The resounding no, the mention of at least 6 weeks recovery, and "are you working to put food on the table" insights put things in perspective for me. I'm thankful I have a husband who has been working from home since the pandemic and is the main income earner so I work mostly to feel productive and pay the small bills. I have been self-employed, part-time for the last 5 years because this is what works for us since we have no immediate family around and we live in a high cost of living area. The logistics of just dealing with rush hour traffic commute and daycare/after-school pick-ups would have sucked the living souls out of us.

I've been content with this part-time work arrangement since it feels more balanced. My reason for wanting to go back to work earlier is because I just don't want to be replaced. My mother is also living with us temporarily for 2 months to help so that's made that idea of going back to work remotely seem very doable. But it's true, the reality of c-section recovery might hit me harder than expected. And I could always find other work, I suppose if my workplace finds it necessary to look for someone else.

@pattimayo I would not want to do this. Do you have other options? What’s motivating you to start working again so early? Are you afraid of losing your job (and if so, are you in a place with mat leave protection), or you need to keep receiving pay (it seems like it would be a minor amount if you’re only at 25% capacity)? I guess it just seems unlikely to be worth it unless you truly have to do it.

@pattimayo Are you being forced into this decision due to finances? Even then, I would not do only 2 weeks off. The bare minimum of physical recovery is 8 weeks.

@johhnyd A good indication of “bare minimum” being 8 weeks is that short term disability will pay you for this long (in most cases) after a c-section and Heaven knows insurance companies aren’t paying out more than they have to!

Edit - it’s actually 6 weeks so I guess that’s closer to a true “bare minimum” but still 😂

@pattimayo I don’t advise it. Hormones are wild and sleep deprivation would impact your performance like no other. There is no way to predict it. I am the cool cucumber in my family and I ugly cried at least 3 times a day when my baby was at that age.

@pattimayo Read this, and my response Fuck no. C Section is major abdominal surgery. Maybe… MAYBE if you HAD to and was doing a low intervention vaginal birth, with a crap ton of support at home and doing formula and sleeping.

@marie1980 I had a low intervention vaginal birth with a crap ton of support at home and a baby who slept pretty well and I was STILL not good to go after 2 weeks. We stayed with my mother right after the birth and it took me three weeks to even go home. That was my first baby, so I’m sure you’d be more prepared with a second baby, but your body needs time to heal.

@pattimayo I was in the hospital for 8 days following my c section, so work that soon even if it was from home would’ve been a nightmare. I did start again at 5 weeks PP and a lot of people told me that was insane too and that I should’ve taken longer.

If you don’t have to go back that quickly I wouldn’t.

To add:
A second child is a huge adjustment for your whole family- don't rush back to work. You will need to HEAL (even from home) and have no clue just yet what those first weeks will be like. Give yourself time.

@pattimayo I think the big concern is a c section. It’s pretty major surgery.

A big part of how well your abdominals will heal depends on where on the spectrum from unicorn to colic your baby will be. If you have to hold or rock or pickup the baby a lot… that’s going to take a huge toll on you.

@pattimayo Do. Not. Do. This*.

(*you may have no other option but to do it, and if that’s the case, I’m very sorry. Try to see if a relative can come help you).

@pattimayo I had a c-section and I went back to work PT from home after short term disability was up at 8 weeks. I realistically could have gone back at the 4 or 5 week mark if absolutely necessary, but 2!? God no.

@pattimayo I live in a dystopian hellscape where parents aren’t guaranteed any paid time off (USA) so almost 1 in 4 mothers go back to work, like, stocking shelves at Target within 2 weeks of giving birth regardless of complications. It’s why I decided to never ever say anything about any woman because you never know if that rude receptionist has been bleeding into adult diapers while holding her c section scar with every breath for the last six hours.

If you have the option and financial means to avoid that, I would. Not only for your own sake but for the precedent and expectations you set for others who may not have as much support as you do. If you would take too much of a financial hit or it’s too great a risk to be out that long, you are in unbelievably impressive company and though I’ve only given birth vaginally I will say recovery was faster and easier with my second and I was totally catching up on emails during late night feedings. But I wasn’t doing much besides sorting and clearing my inbox.