Is it madness to have another baby at 42-43?

@johnl1153 I had my first at 42 and I know so many moms who had their first or second in their 40s! In certain parts of the world it is SUPER NORMAL to have a first or second child at 40+.

@johnl1153 One of my good friends, who is Aussie, had her first child at 40 and her second at 43. We met in Hong Kong when we were both corporate lawyers at the same firm.

VHCOL cities like NY, London, SF, certain Asian cities… incredibly common for women to delay having kids until they reach a certain level professionally or financially.

I know more first-time moms over 40 than I know first-time moms under 30, for what it’s worth. But most of my friendship network are in those VHCOL areas.

@johnl1153 Had the normal testing for abnormalities - blood test and scan - didn’t need to go any further than that…
My ob suggested a c section just due to my age and elasticity of everything down there… had one, zero issues, back training six weeks later , zero incontinence, zero pelvic floor issues.
I myself am surprised and very happy with how fuss free the entire pregnancy and delivery went.

@johnl1153 I've had my third at 42. My kids are 8 years apart. Now they are 4, 12 and 20.

I'm happy I have my daughter but it's been rough. Physically demanding, strenuous. Mentally challenging. Especially the first two years.

Covid and homeschooling the older kids from when she was 6 months old onwards didn't really help. At least you won't have that (praying silently).

My daughter is a great person but she has a very demanding personality. She has frequent meltdowns and has something to say in every situation. I can't talk on the phone without her either taking over the phone call or turning into a screaming mess. Most kids aren't like that, so the odds are in your favor and after surviving the first hard two years you just end up having the responsibility for a kid until you are 60. With all the limitations that brings this along. While I am wrestling a supernova here every other day. Lol.

I really am happy to have her and it does get a lot easier over time (as you know). The siblings are developing a good relationship atm and it's wonderful to see. Especially the 20 yo an the 4 yo.

@kdm1984 So interesting on your age gaps! If we have a second the age gap will be about 6 years old and I’ve had some worries about it! Seeing this makes me feel more encouraged

@sicky12 I just thought this morning how hard it must be if you have kids closer together. Because especially between 4 and 6 they are so fun and so happy to do stuff. Which is much harder if you have a little one around. This way they got to be "babies" a little bit longer. Because 4-6 yo still want to be cuddled, carried, dressed, adored etc. Yes, they CAN be more independent at this age and do a lot of things by themselves. But they often prefer not to. And they especially don't like having to.

I really must say EVERY age gap has disadvantages and advantages.

@johnl1153 Had my first at 42. Uneventful pregnancy. I’m still tired a few years later but I was before he was born. We’re having fun and feel so grateful to have had it all go well. Thinking about a second but it’d be wild for my age.

@johnl1153 Thanks! Met husband at 40 and after a couple losses we hit jackpot without needing IVF.

I had some trouble with various muscle-skeletal stuff and I have prolapse. But that could’ve happened at any age. I didn’t know about prolapse until my doc sent me to pelvic floor therapist.