I wOn'T dO tHaT wHeN I HaVe KiDs

@uli Before I had kids, I was the perfect mom who was going to watch barely any tv, I was going to keep my house immaculate, my kids were going to learn to go to bed and just do it without me intervening. I WAS SO WRONG.

@enoch27 I mean my kid barely has ever had screen time but he also goes through phases. Right now he’s really into his animals again so he wants to watch zoo videos. I did used to spend more time on my house and since the pandemic I’ve taken a functional approach rather than an ambiance approach.

@uli We listen to SuperSimpleSongs. They have a lot of really good material. Autistic 4 year old is currently able to count and recognize numbers from 1-40 because of their "100" songs.

@uli He's only able to because his fixation is numbers 😅 if you know any sort of academic tricks, please don't hesitate to message me

@enoch27 Personally I just believe in holding off on academics until 7. My kid had a cognitive test and still was in the 99th and 90th percentiles on the verbal and spatial measures. I let him be driven by his special interests and we did a lot of open ended play. So like animals are his interest right now, so I just let him go deep into that. He asks me a lot of questions and we research things together.

@enoch27 Parenthood is a daily exercise in choosing your battles. Some parents pick pretty small hills to die on, and that’s their choice. I personally don’t have time to deal with every single tiny tiff my kids get into, so I just move past it, telling them to sort it out among themselves. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@enoch27 I remember saying I was going to wean my kid once they had teeth. LOLOLOL my kid nursed to sleep until she was 4. So much of parenting is just learning as you go.

Back