I need success stories, pls! (40 F)

silverfang

Hello! I am freshly 40 yo, obesity 1st degree (BMI 31), hypertensive. Since finding out Im preggo (also very fresh) I ditched all my bad habits (sedentarism, coke zero, processed crap) and started walking about 10k steps a day, a significant portion of that being brisk ~ 5 days a week, I eat clean, whole foods, and I plan to go to gym starting next week and strengthen + condition my body some. Im entering 2nd month of pregnancy so its all very new. My first pregnancy was with twins 9-10 years ago. My current lifestyle changes are only 2 weeks old.

Im terrified of pre/eclampsia.

Any of you with similar stats to mine made it with a healthy baby on the other side of these crazy 9 months? Im reading a lot about how everything I do should lower my risk for complications but my BP is currently untreated and high, pending a cardiologist visit soon. I follow some guildelines of not gaining more than 6-9 kg during the pregnancy, given my BMI but water retention is a nuisance, despite me trying to keep it low sodium atm.

Thanks in advance!

@silverfang That's a lot of changes for 2 weeks. Maybe dial it back slightly and focus on the most important changes so you sustain them better.

Since you're already hypertensive, definitely follow your physician's guidance on managing that. You should ask for a referral to a dietitian who can help you meal plan to ensure you get the nutrients you need and still manage your obesity.

Got a dog or a walking buddy? Find something to make the exercise a pleasant time for yourself.

@silverfang I agree that it sounds like a lot of changes, but good for you for taking so much initiative! The walking will be so good for you, keep it up! You can probably keep the Coke Zero though — it’s Better than full sugar coke at least.

@silverfang Check out r/PlusSizedAndPregnant

My first was a set of twins and my body never bounced back. Now 7 years after my twins, I'm pregnant with a singleton. I'm surprised your ob didn't prescribe anything for your hypertension. I know someone who has high blood pressure and takes meds for it even thru out pregnancy. I think her ob prescribed them.

Oh I just realized I never commented why to checkout plussizedandpregnant. I think it's more helpful for this kind of question. I've seen similar questions posted there and find it more supportive than this reddit.

@silverfang I just want to say thank you for asking this. I'm plus sized and currently ttc and working to improve my activity levels now (even if it is a roller coaster journey sometimes). I don't have a success story (yet 🤞🏻), but remember that each small change you make will make a difference, even if you can't immediately see it.

Let the changes that you've made settle in, and perhaps try to find an accountability buddy to make it more fun, if that's something that works for you? I often call someone to chat before going out for a walk, or schedule gym meet ups with friends because I'm less likely to cancel that way

Back