I missed another first and I’m really sad about it

dezzy

My son loves fire trucks. Calls them “wee-oohs.” He gets so excited when we see them out and about. Every single morning, without fail, he says, “Mama, see wee-oohs?” We will literally watch compilations of fire truck sirens on YouTube.

The fire station by my house is having a breakfast later next month. I was like, this is my chance! I’ll take my son to see some real live fire trucks and he’ll have so much fun! He’s never seen them up close before.

My MIL (who is every brand of yes - this is not anyone’s fault and I certainly don’t blame her) was watching my son while my husband and I were working yesterday. I got home and my husband was unloading his car while balancing our son on his hip….and LO had a plastic firefighter hat on. My husband excitedly told me that MIL had taken LO on a walk past the fire station, and the doors were open. The firefighters saw how excited LO got and let him see the trucks up close.

I put on a happy face for my son while he toddler babbled to me all about it, and cried about it later.

Don’t get me wrong - I am really glad my son had that experience, and I’m not upset with my MIL at all. She’s wonderful and I’m happy they had that experience together.

I just also really wish I could have been there, too.

Edit: Oh my word, you all are so sweet. Thank you for all the kind words and solidarity.

@dezzy Aw that's gotta sting but wow, what a fun and exciting treat for your lil guy! The great thing about kids is they're full of boundless enthusiasm, he'll be just as excited to see more wee-oohs with his mama! Maybe even more so since you'll be there to share the moment.

@tarryn 100% this. He will love it just as much as the first.

My oldest gets excited to see buses and half the time I feel he gets so excited is I try to match the enthusiasm. It’s been months and it’s still not getting old for us.

@tarryn Precisely this! My son loves fire trucks as well! I let him dad (I am divorced) take him to the fire station first as his best friend is a firefighter but my son is still thrilled when we get to go to “touch a truck” events etc.
Also, I love that OP isn’t mad at MIL! That’s an amazing relationship!

@dezzy You sound like such a good mom. You’re able to attune to your emotions (missing out) while separating that from your son’s emotions (excitement, joy) and your MIL’s actions (doing a fun thing as it presented itself with your boy). I would be sad, too. And, the feeling will pass. You and your boy are lucky to have each other.