I don't even have sex anymore

avonmora

I live in Texas & the thought of having an accidental pregnancy w/my Mirena in is so scary to me. Abortion isn't an option unless I have travel money & savings for the time off i'd have to take. I've had sex maybe a handful of times since Roe v. Wade was overturned. It's just too scary & risky. It's not fair. I enjoyed sex at one time. Now the thought of being touched is filled w/overwhelming anxiety.

@avonmora Let me also take a moment to mention that there are resources to help people access abortions even if they live in an area where termination is illegal. r/auntienetwork can help with things such as transportation, lodging, and support. Aid Access, Plan C Pills and Women on Web are three groups that mail abortion pills worldwide. Of course, you have to keep local laws in mind and research ways to protect privacy, but they are good resources to be aware of.

@cscotte I'm happy to share. I hope that you or your loved ones never need them, but I think it's helpful to know that there are resources. I can't offer much assistance from Canada, but spreading awareness of resources is something we can all do to help increase access to safe abortions.

@cscotte Was stuck in Missouri for a job and moved back to PA. After everything I have been seeing in the news, my heart goes out to you. I even worked on the state level (in their archives) and that fucking scares me to think that these things could've affected me from the get-go hadn't I moved out.

@jewels77 Moving costs money so for some of us that isn’t even an option plus my family is here….Born and raised in TX. The abortion restrictions are what pushed me to my 8 year iud. I had already been in BC for years tho.

@jewels77 You think we haven’t considered it? Ha. but again, money is an issue and I’d be away from all my family and my BFs. Having money to move is a privilege.

For now women are still able to get birth control and have tubal litigation and so on. So you work with what you have.

@emilywombat I think if everyone leaves those states it will screw over all the young women growing up there now. Better to stay and keep fighting to change minds and hearts especially with gen z coming up as voters now and getting more involved.

@scw43 Yeah, especially girls in super rural Texas where there are no close abortion clinics at all even if they were somehow able to catch a pregnancy in time. It’s some disappointing times fersure but women must stand together.

@catriona I have a hormonal iud. They have one that’s non hormonal called paraguard. I like mine. They told me paraguard causes worse bleeding and cramps and more people come back wanting it removed but I’ve also hear if you wait out the first few months - 1st year then that gets a lot better with time. So up to you!

@catriona My doctors didn’t. They gave me a pill to take to dilate my cervix before the procedure. It causes HORRIBLE cramping. Like that was so unbearable I couldn’t sleep, I had to take OTC pain meds. I think that cramping was worse than the IUD placement. You can take pain meds hour before to help tho. The placement is so fast. It feels like a painful deep cramp then it’s done. That’s how it was for me anyways, but the pill they gave me for the dilation was SO much worse. If you get that, and take it, take pain meds !!!!

@emilywombat Omg that sounds so horrible!!! I’m sorry you had to go through that. So afterwards did you feel pain on a day to day basis with the IUD? And you don’t have to take it out for 8 years (is that the case for all IUDs?)

@catriona To me it was worth it bc I never want kids and over all it was quick. I had some cramping afterwards but not bad at all. It went away and now I only have them towards my period which is pretty light. IUDs can last different years. Depends on how long you want them. I think paraguard can go to 10 years? But you can also do like 3-4 if you want and go get them removed whenever. I wanted a longer one. I’m almost 30 so hopefully after this one or sooner maybe I’ll get my tubes tied or if I get married to my BF he will get vasectomy

@emilywombat I’m actually the same way - never want kids, almost 30, though I’ve just been rather afraid of IUD cuz I’m still a virgin so I felt like the pain might be too much and don’t know if my insurance can cover anesthesia. Fingers crossed for me, I’ll ask!