I’ve been 17 for 3 months, and I still haven’t solved a single integration. Did I disappoint my parents?

gazenhauser

I can’t do a double integral either, and haven’t solved a single integration. I can’t even do linear interpolation or even extrapolation. Would you be disappointed in your child if they lack these skills right now?

@gazenhauser is 17 the magic age where you suddenly understand math concepts? If so, I got skipped over.

To answer your question: As a parent, I would not be disappointed in my child for not having the skills. I would only be disappointed if they gave up and stopped trying.

@gazenhauser As a woman in her 30's, there was a large amount of relief reading the comments of others who do not know how to do this or even know what it means.

I knew it had something to do with math, but my knowledge ended there.

You're fine, kid. Just keep doing your best.

@gazenhauser No.

If you're determined to learn, great! Watch some videos and tutorials, they can be really helpful. Maths is about abstract concepts, and pressure doesn't really help you to understand things like that.

@gazenhauser Bro I didn't learn to interpolate until college

you're fine

Also, it's not something you will use often unless you go into research masters, and maybe even then you won't either (depends on the field)

I'd be proud af if my kid even knew what interpolation was at 17

@gazenhauser No, I wouldn’t. As much as teachers push the idea that your life will be a mess if you don’t learn (insert thing here), it often isn’t based in reality.
- Is life easier when you know stuff? Yes.
- Is life easier when you follow a clear career path and are educated? For the most part, yes.
- Are you worthy if you are an imperfect human? Yes.
- Are disabled, uneducated and academically challenged kids worthy of love and support? Absolutely yes.

Your parents don’t love you because you can math. They loved you when you were a potato pooping in your pants that didn’t do much of anything except smile. Love and approval isn’t transactional.

If your folks show disappointment; then ask for some support so you can reach their goal. And if you never do; that’s okay. We don’t exist for parental approval, and some parents have a very high standard for their children.

It will be okay. I have maybe the math skills of very slow 12 yr old at best, and I am getting along just fine.

@gazenhauser Imo, take a break from attempting to solve them, even if it's only for a few days. Give yourself some time to separate yourself from the stress and pressure you are putting on yourself. When you are ready, research different sources on instructing how to do them - videos, audio, animation, etc. We all learn in different ways and you may find that someone(s) present to you in ways that help you click pieces of the process.

Fresh eyes are sometimes the best way to solve a problem.

@gazenhauser Ha. I don't know. Are WE supposed to know those things? But honestly, if you are being serious, I as a parent would only be disappointed in myself for allowing you to think you couldn't come to me for help when you felt overwhelmed. To be clear, I could not help you, but I would make it clear that I'm impressed with your big vocabulary and if you want, I'll do what I can. I will sit you down and direct you to the free khan academy website, where I relearned basic algebra last year.

It totally made me want to learn, and for some reason, I ended up doing tons of math work, as an adult, for really no reason.

@gazenhauser I hope this helps you understand it a bit better. Math is difficult if you think it's difficult. As a parent that did poorly at math, then it clicked and did well, then forgot basically everything because it's useless in everyday life, I'd say if you're not interested in a career in physics or math academically, don't feel to bad. If your parents are mean to you and are scolding you, that's really the most difficult part of maths. Have them solve what you're doing for you.

@gazenhauser If i was your parent, I don't think I would, but it also depends on if these mathematical operations are part of the standard curriculum for your age group at school, or not. Also if you're a genius/high capacities kid, or not.

All that's not part of the standard curriculum shouldn't be something I'm pressuring you to learn, unless, as stated above, you're the one who asked in the first place to learn those things. In which case we'll have a serious conversation about dropping any extras so you don't burn out and can have a normal teenager life.

And if it's part of the standard curriculum but maths are not your thing, we would discuss a change of subjects/school path. Why make you suffer, for nothing?

@gazenhauser I wouldn’t be disappointed at all. Age isn’t a magic place where things get downloaded and someone knows it all.

Hell I’m closing on 40 and not entirely sure I know any of those haha. If my kid told me they were having issues with their math homework I’d offer to find a tutor (cause my math skills aren’t helping anyone hahaha)